This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Far too often, when we think of shopping in Madison, West Towne and East Towne Mall are the first places to come into mind. It is either that or the classic State Street stores, such as Urban Outfitters and Earthbound that the Madison shopaholic frantically flock to. Let this list serve as an alternative to hopping on the 6 bus or sticking to what is known. Expand you shopping horizons and take full advantage of what the Madison scene has to offer.  

1.) Pitaya

Often not even given a backwards glance when at East Campus Mall, Pitaya is a chic, relatively small boutique that is actually well worth venturing into. The store boasts an impressive selection of timelessly trendy pieces and is organized largely by color: black and white in the front, then red, blue and purple, and so forth as you make your way to the back of the store and fitting room area.

An enticing part about shopping at Pitaya is the quality of the clothing.  The selection is marvelous, with an array of dresses, tops, bottoms and darling accessories. Make it a point to at least try on a pair of jeans there. Relatively reasonably priced and stylish, the styles range from distressed to dark wash to ripped.  The dresses at Pitaya are also fabulous and range from casual to perfect for a night out. Proceed with eagerness, as well as deserved caution. Disclaimer: You will probably be broke after making your purchases. That is okay. 

2.) Little Luxuries    

One of my favorite stores on State Street, Little Luxuries is a quaint little shop near the capitol area.  It offers a dazzling assortment of books (even a Refinery29 style guide for fashionistas), adorable accessories and even a few beauty products (Try the lavender body wash.  It’s glorious and will make your skin radiant). Definitely make sure to check out the sunglasses section as well.  They have an impressive selection and have options for every single taste in an array of shapes and colors.  Personally, I love their rainbow sunglasses or if I’m feeling classic, a regular black aviator pair.  Little Luxuries is a wonderful place to go if you’re on an “I’m going to hit up every single store on State Street with no regrets” agenda.  Put it on yours!

3.) Art Gecko     

A lot of people tend to forget about Art Gecko’s value as a store, let alone its existence. Instead, Earthbound tends to act as the big sister of the two, having earned a reputation as the place to shop for hippie, alternative style clothes and accessories.  While I adore Earthbound and its products and go there whenever I am on State Street, the Art Gecko offers a wide selection of funky jewelry, scarves and other fun knick-knacks and accessories.  Their necklace selection is awesome.  There is a range of simple pendant necklaces to colorful, bold statement necklaces.  My personal favorites are the animal pendant necklaces that they specialize in, as well as the assortment of scented candles. This gem of a store also has a lot of blanket scarves, which prove to be versatile, as well as a sensible investment in WisCOLDsin.

While the malls and more popular stores on State Street are definitely worth the hype, it is critical to consider that there are other quality shopping options in Madison. This guide is only touching on some of the other stores your shopaholic experience can consist of.  So, what are you waiting for? Your sense of shopping adventure is calling!

My name is Caroline Szachnowski and I am a writer for the Her Campus University of Wisconsin chapter. I am a junior majoring in creative writing and international studies with the aspiration to be a professional writer and/or editor post graduation. My hobbies other than writing include learning and speaking foreign languages, traveling, reading, frequent shopping binges, going to the beach whenever possible, volunteering, and drinking way too much coffee.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!