Life as a Freshman vs. Life as an Upperclassman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Looking back on freshman year, you can’t help but feel a bit nostalgic.  Things like traveling in a group of 20 to parties, having hour-long dinners with your friends at the dining hall, and cramming as many people as you can into a dorm room for a pregame, are memories you will always cherish.  On the flip side, there are some things you definitely won’t miss about your freshman year… like climbing into a lofted bed every night.  Here are the ten differences between your life as a freshman and life as an upperclassman.

Being on Your Own:

Freshman:

“My parents aren’t here, I can do whatever I want!”

Upperclassman:

“I miss my family”

Food:

Freshman:

“Dining Hall food is the greatest, I never have to cook or do dishes!”

Upperclassman:

“Shall it be frozen pizza or cereal for dinner tonight?”

Partying:

Freshman:

“I can go out Thursday, Friday and Saturday and not feel hungover!”

Upperclassman:

“My liver can barely handle one night of going out”

Studying:

Freshman:

“I’ll just go study (aka socialize) in the dorm den for the night”

Upperclassman:

“The library is my second home”

Fear of Missing Out:

Freshman:

“I must go out every night, my FOMO is too real”

Upperclassman:

“Watching Netflix in the comfort of my bed sounds pretty good right now”

Worrying About the Future:

Freshman:

“I have no clue what I’m going to major in”

Upperclassman:

“I have no clue where I’m going to find a job when I graduate”

Bathrooms:

Freshman:

“I need to wear shoes just to shower??”

Upperclassman:

“I actually have to clean my own bathroom and shower now!?”

Pregames:

Freshman:

“Let’s see how many people we can fit into a dorm room before quiet hours commence”

Upperclassman:

“Let’s invite all of our Facebook friends and try not to get any noise violations”

Buzzkills:

Freshman:

“I can’t believe I got written up”

Upperclassman:

“I can’t believe I got denied at the bars”

Walk of Shame:

Freshman:

“I hope no one sees me walk of shame from A tower to B tower”

Upperclassman:

“I hope no one sees me walk of shame these 3 blocks”

There is no doubt that there are definitely pros and cons to life as a freshman compared to life as an upperclassman, but it’s all part of the college experience!

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!