black vinyl record playing on turntable 1389429jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
black vinyl record playing on turntable 1389429jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Pexels

Lany’s “Mama’s Boy” Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The American indie-pop band Lany released their long-awaited album “Mama’s Boy” on October 2nd. It is the third album for the band, consisting of members Paul Klein, Les Priest and Jake Goss. It debuted at #20 on the Billboard Albums Chart and is predicted to go into the Top 10 this week. It consists of 14 songs that all center around a Western cowboy theme. 

Anna Schultz-Girl Looking Up In Forest
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

This was an interesting theme for Lany, as their last two albums centered around moving to Hollywood, love and breakups. This album was a tribute to growing up and the state of Oklahoma, where lead singer Paul grew up. It seems to be very early Taylor-Swift inspired with many ballads. It is a lot less theatrical and upbeat than their previous albums and strips back to show the rawness of Paul’s vocals. It is very nostalgic for growing up and makes you reflect on your childhood. This album gives me a warm and heartfelt feeling of looking back on memories. It’s like watching an old home video but through music. 

No Music No Life Neon Sign
Photo by Simon Noh on Unsplash

My favorite song on this album is called “You.” Singer Paul Klein described it as “a love song without describing physical attributes.” I thought that was really powerful. I really love the vibe of the song, and it is perfect for driving with the windows down. Another song I love is “If This Is the Last Time.” It is a thank you to parents, and it makes me emotional while listening to it. Quarantine made me feel really close to my parents again and that song reminds me that I was lucky to be able to spend time with my family during that time. 

headphones on a white background
Pexels

This album is a celebration of freedom, a reflection on growing up and a homage to youth. While it could never compete with my favorite album of theirs, “Malibu Nights,” it is a fun diversion into a new theme. Lany is very special to me, and it’s cool to see them start to become more and more famous as time goes on. I would give this album a ⅘ stars.

Courtney Shady

Wisconsin '23

Courtney is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying psychology, education, and gender and women’s studies. She is from the suburbs of Milwaukee. In her free time, she enjoys drinking coffee, going to concerts, and loves hanging out with friends.
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!