Keep CALM and Listen to 5SOS’ New Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

One of the best feelings in the world is being able to listen to a new album by a favorite artist for the first time. For me, there’s only one proper way to give the new album your full attention, and that’s listening to it while still tucked into your bed, either early in the morning or late at night, lights off, eyes closed, earbuds in. Just taking in the music, the lyrics, and, importantly, listening in order. There’s an album order for a reason, as I believe the whole record tells a story, an evolution from start to finish, and it deserves to be listened to as it was released. 

This is exactly how I found myself at 7:30am on Friday, March 27th, when I couldn’t get back to sleep and suddenly remembered that 5 Seconds of Summer’s fourth album, CALM, was out in the world.       I became a 5SOS fan after I somehow stumbled across their Youngblood album on Spotify in 2018. Before that, I had really only known them for their breakout hit, “She Looks So Perfect,” and the few songs my friends would blast in the car every Friday night, namely “Don’t Stop,” “Beside You,” and “Girls Talk Boys.” Other than that, I kinda figured they were a knock-off One Direction and didn’t really pay them much attention. 

Microphone on stage
Bruno Cervera
But Youngblood proved just how wrong I was. It was so mature, the sound so rich and complex and so cohesive. Every song was insanely good and it all meshed so well together. I listened to the album on repeat, and then had a chance to see the four Australian boys in concert this past October at the Alliant Energy Center in Madison, on their tour with The Chainsmokers and Lennon Stella. 5 Seconds of Summer was crazy talented, and my friends, sister, and I were so into their whole set from our seats in the nosebleeds that a security worker actually came up to us to offer us admission to the pit. Obviously, we ecstatically said yes and got to see them sing “Youngblood” from about twenty feet away. It was an incredibly amazing experience. 

So to say I had high expectations for CALM after I had been so changed by their last album is a bit of an understatement. I was worried they wouldn’t be able to top the musical genius that was Youngblood, but I shouldn’t have occupied myself with these thoughts; CALM took my expectations and blew them out of the water. 

I wanted to share my thoughts on the album, song-by-song, so that you don’t miss out on this life-changing album. Don’t underestimate 5 Seconds of Summer; they know what they’re doing.

Red Desert

The immense power of this song hit me from the very first notes, opening with a rich four-part harmony chorus that sounds different from anything they’ve really done before. Their vocal abilities are undeniable. “Red Desert” is layered with strong drums that emphasize the chorus, as well as a slightly electronic tone in the background. They play around with dropping layers and adding them back in one-by-one in the bridge, which adds intrigue and depth to the song. I think this song is the perfect way to set the tone for the entire album: they’re distinguishing their sound from their previous albums, evolving it, but it’s also clear that they’re still the 5 Seconds of Summer we know and love.

Favorite lyric: “Won’t you leave all your fears at the edge of the world?”

No Shame

The song is a critique of societal pressures to change our bodies to fit in, to always have the latest fashion trends, to be young and wealthy and what society deems “attractive” in order to be happy and successful. It wasn’t until I recently listened to the lyrics, after hearing the song for the past two months, that I realized that this was the deeper message of the lyrics. On a surface level, it just sounds like a fun, upbeat pop song; and while it still is, the message is so much more important than that. 

Favorite lyric: “Diggin’ my grave to get a reaction / Changin’ my face and calling it fashion”

Old Me

Similar to “No Shame,” “Old Me” was also released earlier in 2020 in anticipation for the album. Actually, the next two songs were released as singles in 2019, which made for an interesting stylistic decision to put the four singles back-to-back right at the beginning of the record. I think it was a smart move, though, because these songs already went so well together. Starting out with “Red Desert” gets you excited for the entire album, and having these songs immediately following keeps you on the edge of your seat waiting for those seven brand-new songs that you know will come uninterrupted.

I see “Old Me” as a really unique and important song. It’s reflecting back on their past selves and past mistakes, acknowledging that they “would do it over now”, but also realizing that they wouldn’t be who they are today if they hadn’t been those people before. It’s a sort of paradox that we all must face when looking back on who we used to be, when realizing that we are both still that person and someone changed. 

Favorite lyric: “I’m constantly reminded of all the compromises / From the people from my past who have a hard time letting go”

Easier

“Easier” was co-written by Charlie Puth, and you can hear his influence and signature sound throughout the whole thing. (There actually is a remix featuring Charlie Puth; I swear, I can hardly tell the difference.) Luke’s vocals in the chorus are extremely impressive; he covers a wide range in a short span of time and hits every note precisely. I’ve tried singing this song in my shower and every time I utterly fail. I honestly don’t know how he does it. 

Favorite lyric: “The hardest part of all / Is that we’re only built to fall”

Teeth

This one was a treat to be able to see live. It feels edgier, more rock-and-roll than the rest of the album. The background is extremely bass-driven, accented by sounds of Luke’s breath in the recording. I’ve loved this one since it came out in December, and to me, it’s one of those songs that I feel like I could listen to over and over and never get sick of it.

Favorite lyric: “Some days you’re the best thing in my life / Sometimes when I look at you I see my wife”

Wildflower

Another strong harmony to begin this song with a bang! Calum takes over vocals on this track, and does a fantastic job. The chorus makes me want to bop my head and dance around, it’s just such a feel-good track. It’s also extremely unique, because they actually leave words off during the chorus, leaving it as a choose-your-own-adventure for the listener to interpret it however they wish. I think this is such a cool idea, and not something I’ve ever really heard done before. Upon my first listen to the album, “Wildflower” was instantly my favorite. 

Favorite lyric: “I love it when you wear your hair down over your shoulder”

Best Years

This song sounds like a beautiful love letter. It’s one of the most stripped-down songs on the album, focusing on vocals and lyrics instead of distracting from them with overpowering instrumentals. The lyrics are touching and hopeful for the future and I can’t help but smile every time I listen to it. I would also highly recommend searching for Luke’s acoustic version he sampled on Twitter and YouTube leading up to the album release, in case you thought the song couldn’t sound any lovelier.

Favorite lyric: “I want to hold your hand while we’re growing up”

Not In The Same Way

I initially found the repetition of this track a little off-putting, but I’ve gained a new appreciation for it the more I’ve listened. The repetitive chorus follows the cyclical thoughts and actions of the relationship it’s describing: confusing, complicated, and doomed. While it’s still probably my least favorite song on the album, I still respect it for the story it tells.

Favorite lyric: “In the dark, we’re black and white / In the morning, colorblind”

Lover of Mine

Ooh, this is a good one. This is another hauntingly beautiful track: love and promises tinged with a bit of regret when they sing, “I’ve already made that mistake.” Each lyric is like poetry and the instruments work perfectly to balance their voices and the message. Beginning with what sounds to me like an ancient piano you’d find in an old house, transitioning to the soft strum of the guitar, later adding in percussion as the chorus builds. I love the little turnaround Luke sings on the end of “think I got right.”

Favorite lyric: “When I take a look at my life and all of my crimes / You’re the only thing that I think I got right”

Thin White Lies

If one song from CALM could be added onto the Youngblood album, could match the cohesiveness of it, it would be “Thin White Lies.” It’s bold, it’s powerful, and the call-and-response between Luke singing the chorus and the interjection of “thin white lies!” works so well. The bridge is raw and honest, singing, “I don’t really like me anymore,” and gives a sense of desperation to the song in its entirety, especially since this line also ends the song.

Favorite lyric: “When the sun goes down, we all get lonely / Watch me as I disappear / These empty songs and endless stories / Tell me what I want to hear”

Lonely Heart

This is another soft one, promising and pleading. I love the contrasts between the subtle strumming and oohing in the verses with the heavier instruments and unison singing in the chorus, and the build-up of layered harmonies in the first half of the bridge with the brief moment where the instruments fall away in the second half that leaves just Luke singing. This is a good one to jam out to when you’re alone in your room.

Favorite lyric: “Can I have a second chance? / Can I have another dance? / Can I start another life with you?”

High

I think it’s an interesting stylistic choice to end with “High,” a song that’s lamenting a past love in a reminiscent, slightly selfish way. They’re ending the album with a song about a relationship’s end, but a breakup that doesn’t necessarily seem to be devastating the singers. They want to be remembered by the fond memories they sing about, and I think that’s something we all hope for.

Favorite lyric: “I think that my heart is built to last more than a night”

All in all, I adore every song on this album, which I listen to approximately 2-3 times a day. My favorite songs change with every listen, but as of writing this article, my top songs are “Lover of Mine,” “Lonely Heart,” and “Old Me.”

I also think this album happened to come out at the perfect time. Since the world is anything but perfect right now, the importance of music is more prominent now than ever. New music gives us something to look forward to, something to relax with, and something to dance around our rooms to, when we might not be feeling in the mood to otherwise. The title is also extremely relevant: CALM was formed taking the first letters of the four members’ names, but I think it’s more representative of the fact that in this crazy, stressful time, we all could use a little CALM in our lives.

Abby Synnes

Wisconsin '23

Abby is a senior at UW-Madison studying English and communication sciences and disorders. She is an enthusiast of good books, Taylor Swift, and vanilla lattes.
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.