mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

J.C. Penney Hires Its First Female CEO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Classic American retailer J.C. Penney has selected Jill Soltau as its next CEO. Soltau is a native of Viroqua, Wisconsin and a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Stout. Previously, she held roles as CEO of JOANN fabric and craft stores and as president of Shopko. Soltau’s appointment as CEO makes history as she will become the first woman CEO in J.C. Penney’s 116 years in business. She joins the 5% of Fortune 500 CEOs who are women.

Though J.C. Penney has struggled to adapt to the changing retail environment, executives are hopeful that Soltau’s leadership will bring a competitive edge back to the company. Paul Brown, director of the board, said Soltau “stood out from the start among an incredibly strong slate of candidates. As we looked for the right person to lead this iconic company, we wanted someone with rich apparel and merchandising experience and found Jill to be an ideal fit.” Company stocks jumped ten percent on Tuesday after the announcement of her hiring.

Soltau will take over on Monday, October 15th as J.C. Penney enters the all-important holiday season in retail.  

Kristin is a student at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a degree in Marketing and Operations and Technology Management. Her favorite things in the whole world are vanilla lattes, John Mayer's voice, and her beagle mix, Olive. When she's not slaving over an accounting textbook, Kristin enjoys catching up on fashion and beauty trends, practicing yoga, and cheering on the Badgers.
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.