It’s Never Too Early To Be Ready for Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I swear every year Christmas comes sooner and sooner. This year I was ready by the time Halloween weekend was over. I tore down my Halloween decorations and busted out my Christmas candles, lights, and music. My roommates and I blasted (and still do) “All I Want for Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey on the daily and have no shame. My mother tells me I’m crazy for being so ready for Christmas this early and how “It’s not even Thanksgiving,” yet I have no shame. Absolutely none.

I think I’ve finally come to a conclusion as to why I want to celebrate the holiday as soon as I can—in college, you’re stuck studying for finals, which is obviously no fun. You’re so consumed with the gloominess of school that you forget about all of the happiness around you. I want to enjoy watching Christmas movies, picking out gifts for family and friends, sitting by a cozy fire with the decorations set up, and being surrounded by people I love for as long as I can. But not only do I love celebrating the holiday in itself, there are also so many fun activities to do to celebrate. In Wisconsin where it gets extremely cold and snowy, we can go outdoor ice-skating, skiing, snowboarding, sledding, go on walks during snowfalls, or play in the snow. Certainly you can do these things after Christmas, but it seems to be more magical as the holiday approaches. We can also enjoy the beautiful lights at a light show or drive through neighborhoods, have a delicious home-cooked meal, and decorate gingerbread cookies and houses. All of these actives are just some that I personally love participating in while prepping for the holiday season—even before Thanksgiving arrives.How can you not love all of these things? They bring so much happiness, joy, and love this time of the year. It’s never too early to go to Target (my happy place) to get adorable holiday decorations. I even have a few new ones already picked out that are waiting to be set up in my apartment. While being home for Thanksgiving, I begged my parents to set up the decorations around our home to the point where they were nearly rolling their eyes at me. I even watched the Polar Express, The Holiday, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and Elf already and it’s just barely December.

But for this I am not sorry. I am not sorry to those people who cannot handle Christmas coming too soon. It’s never too soon (maybe a little) to celebrate. If this holiday consists of family, fun activities, beautiful decorations, and countless movies and music, I will continue to go nuts about this wonderful time of the year as early as I can! You can never get sick of them, so why wouldn’t you start early?

Food lover - dance enthusiast - professional napper.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!