The Inside Scoop on Halo Top Ice Cream

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Put down your acai bowls, frozen yogurts, and smoothies! There’s a new sheriff in town and her name is Halo Top ice cream – a healthy ice cream!

Yes, you read that right. Healthy ice cream! You know that feeling when you need to cave in and eat the whole pint, and it tastes so good and so right in the moment?! And then, after you feel something like: 

Well, fear no more. Halo Top ice cream is frozen proof that not all heroes wear capes.

First, let me start by saying that when I first heard of healthy ice cream, I was very intrigued. The brand was Arctic Zero, and if anyone tells you it tastes like anything more than water, they’re lying. Believe me, my debit card, plastic spoons, and high hopes tried to make it work, but it just wasn’t the same as real ice cream.

I was introduced to Halo Top ice cream at the start of this semester and made the trek out to the nearest grocery store that sold it. I loaded up all the flavors I could carry, and to my extremely delighted surprise, it actually tasted like ice cream! The strawberry flavor was sweet and creamy, and an entire pint is only 280 calories. To compare, most other brands consider ½ cup to be a serving. One serving is in that 280 calorie ballpark. And let’s be real, do we ever portion out a ½ cup of ice cream?

Aside from the strawberry, I’ve also tried mint chip, chocolate mocha chip, chocolate, and birthday cake – most of my friends’ favorite – and have loved them all! Halo Top recently released an additional 10 flavors ranging from s’mores to red velvet. In total, there are 17 flavors to guiltlessly dig in to, since all Halo Top ice creams are less than 370 calories per pint and contain 24 g of protein.

So go “pig” out on this new healthy treat! 

Hi! I'm a sophomore at UW-Madison studying Industrial and Systems Engineering. I'm currently obsessed with Einstein Bagel's Vanilla Hazelnut Coffee, anything/everything brunch, and Broad City.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!