Improve Your LinkedIn With These 5 Quick Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

When looking for a job or even just building up a network, LinkedIn is a great resource to access for finding job opportunities, networking events and professional connections. Here are five fast tips to upgrade your LinkedIn game.

1. Keep the profile basics updated.
If your last job update was in July of 2015, potential employers are going to wonder if you have been employed at the same job for the last few years. It is important to keep your profile updated to stay current. 

2. Only use professional photos on your profile.
LinkedIn is solely a professional form of social media. For this reason, photos of you out with your friends are not acceptable.

3. Double check everything for typos and grammar errors.
If a potential employer is looking at your profile, an easy way for them to eliminate you for a position are typos on your profile. Since LinkedIn profiles are condensed it doesn’t take long to proofread your profile—any typo is sure to stand out. 

Photo source

4. Get endorsements.
It’s important for people to see that the skills you say you’re good at are actually true. Ask former employers or coworkers to endorse your skills for top notch authenticity, and return the favor by endorsing them!

5. Join groups.
One of the easiest ways to network is to join groups. Whether it is your high school alma mater or a business professionals organization, networking opportunities should not go to waste.

Follow these simple LinkedIn tips and your profile will already be better than most!

Header photo source

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!