This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Everyone always asks what is one thing that I would bring to a deserted island and I finally found mine: my emotional support water bottle

I used to hate being asked the “What would you bring to a deserted island?” question. The thought of being able to bring only one thing to an island that had nothing else available seemed just plain stupid. I normally gave the annoying answer of an unlimited amount of food or a Brita filter to ensure clean drinking water. Though both of those answers would make sense, I did not get to the root of the question, which was asking about something that I could not function without. After some pondering, hemming and hawing over the question, I finally found my answer: my emotional support water bottle. 

I genuinely do not think that I would be able to function without my flamingo pink, dented-up Hydro Flask attached to my hand. This water bottle has gone through three years of high school, one year of college, the entirety of my first relationship and two concussions. I do not remember the last time that it was further than 6 feet away from me. At the gym? It is sitting in the treadmill cup holder. In class? Directly on my desk. Sleeping? Propped right up on my bed frame. This water bottle and I are genuinely inseparable. 

But besides it being my partner in crime, there are quite a few reasons that this would be a perfect thing to bring to a deserted island. 

One of the most important things is the obvious purpose: to carry water. This may seem like a  trivial luxury when you are left alone in the depths of a deserted island. But hear me out, this provides you the ability to stay hydrated throughout the day. No longer are you just tied to the coast, you are now able to take a day trip to explore and adventure around the island. This will provide you the ability to find better food and survey the surrounding area but most importantly, find a way to get off this island. This water bottle has come in handy so many times to keep me hydrated throughout practices, road trips and very long lectures. This will be super helpful to keep me hydrated. 

The second thing that this can do is be used as storage. Water Bottles provide an underrated safe and secure place to store things. My water bottle has been used to transport fresh fruit and snacks to class and on picnics. My water bottle has seen quite a variety of snacks and each time I am quite content with the preservation and freshness that my Hydro Flask provides. This will be helpful to have on a deserted island because you will collect a lot of food and need to preserve it for a decent amount of time. This way you can have access to food a while after it was originally collected. 

Lastly, this can be used as a weapon. An unconventional weapon? Most definitely, but a weapon nonetheless. When this is filled up with water it becomes quite heavy, trust me, after carrying it for 5 years I would know. It can be easily thrown or used to hit things as well. I have survivor stories from the many times this water bottle was dropped on my foot or accidentally swung around, and I can confirm it does leave a bruise. Though ideally, this is a deserted island with just me inhabiting it, it is important to have this just in case. 

Overall, in my opinion, my water bottle is the best thing to bring to a deserted island. It will provide me with transportable water, food and if worst comes to worst, safety. This water bottle has been with me through everything so it is prepared to conquer the uncharted desert with me as well. Who needs unlimited food or a Brita when you can have a trusty, dented-up, flamingo pink Hydro Flask? 

A lifelong storyteller with a love for anything outdoors