I Made The First Move and Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Sometimes, making the first move doesn’t always turn out the way we expect.

In the past, women have been looked down upon for making the first move, however, in today’s society it is becoming more and more acceptable. As a freshman in college, I have experienced and witnessed scenarios where making the first move hasn’t necessarily led to a successful outcome. I have compiled personal experiences and experiences of close friends where things didn’t necessarily work out for them after making the first move.

Scenario 1:

Girl: “Hey”

Boy: “Hey”

Girl: “What year are you in?”

Boy: “Junior, what about you?”

Girl: “Freshman”

Boy: “Oh.” *walks away*

Scenario 2:

In this scenario, the girl doesn’t necessarily make the first move. After the classic “grind from behind,” she turned around to the lean-in and the boy’s response was as follows:

“I am sorry I can’t, I have a girlfriend”

Basically, “I don’t like your face.”

Scenario 3:

This scenario occurred over text message:

Girl: “Hey, wanna hang out?”

Boy: “Maybe.”

For the record, they never hung out.

Scenario 4:

Girl: “Wanna go back to my place?”

Boy: “Sure.”

*Boy and Girl get in elevator*

Girl: *Gets off on her floor*

Boy: *Stays in elevator*

Scenario 5:

Girl: “Wanna go back to my room?”

Boy: “No let’s go to mine, my roommate is there.”

Scenario 6:

Girl: “Hey, wanna hang out?”

Boy: “I can’t, my roommate is throwing up.”

The following night…

Girl: “Hey, wanna hang out?”

The following night…

Girl: “Hey, wanna hang out?”

Making the first move may not work every time, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try! Keep trying ladies!

Cover Photo Source 

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!