I Didn’t Watch Netflix for a Week and Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Netflix is the way I relax after a long day of classes. It is the source of my joy as I realize that a new season of New Girl has been added (yes!). And it is also a major source of procrastination (um, why wouldn’t I re-watch every episode of Grey’s Anatomy…?).  After thinking about it, I realized that I watch A LOT of Netflix. I decided to give it up for a week to see how much of an effect it really has on my everyday life. 

So on Thursday night, I binge-watched all of my favorite shows to prepare myself for the long week ahead.  Read on to see how I made it through the week!

Day 1:  It’s Friday, so I have class, and I’ll be busy tonight.  I can do this, no problem.  How hard can it be?

Day 2: This isn’t so bad!  I can definitely survive the week.

Day 3: It’s Sunday…I’m bored.

Day 4: Halfway done! 

Day 5:  All my friends know I’m not watching Netflix this week, so why are they watching our shows without me??

Day 6:  Is it Friday yet?  I’m having withdrawals.

Day 7: I’M ALMOST DONE!!!

Going a week without watching Netflix honestly wasn’t as hard as I was expecting.  Monday and Thursday I was fine because I had The Bachelor, Grey’s Anatomy, and How to Get Away with Murder to watch.  The times that I found myself missing Netflix the most was at night or after class.  Before my week without Netflix, I would watch some after coming back from class, and usually I would watch at night before I went to bed. I’m glad that I tried going without it for a week. It made me realize that Netflix is a part of my daily life and that cutting back on the amount of episodes I watch may not be such a bad thing! But let’s be real, I’ll definitely watch all the episodes that I missed this week. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some catching up to do…

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!