This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Tips and tricks from your anxious, type A bestie

Almost as long as I’ve been able to conceptualize a career path, I’ve known I want to be a lawyer. And it’s not for stereotypical reasons, although I do love to argue and I’ve watched Legally Blonde an average of three times per year since the age of 14. I genuinely love studying law in my undergraduate coursework, and I am seriously so excited about the prospect of a career as an attorney.

I am also an extreme perfectionist who thrives on academic validation. As such, I had a lot of anxiety around taking the LSAT and applying to law school because (let’s be honest) I don’t know what I would do with my life if I didn’t go to law school. It’s like it’s been written on my brain as the only career path that will fulfill me. Naturally, it’s an area of my life with a lot of pressure applied. 

I finished and submitted all of my law school applications a little over a month ago, and I’ve had time to reflect on the experience. So, without further ado, here are my tips and tricks for staying sane and self-confident while applying to law school (or, really, any graduate school!).

Don’t let imposter syndrome ruin your life.

I know the feeling. I’ve gone to public school my entire life, and have always struggled with the idea that I deserve to apply to elite law schools (or any law school, really). But the truth is, even deciding to apply is a huge step. Give yourself credit for your accomplishments; you deserve to be there just as much as the next applicant! Give it a try because the worst thing they can say is no. 

Self-care is important.

I know it sounds cliche, but it’s so true. You need to take time during the application cycle to do things that make you happy that are unrelated to your application or academics in general. Take a night off and go see a movie with your friends. You won’t regret it, and odds are, you’ll return to your application with a fresh attitude that can make all the difference. Some of my best ideas for applications have come to me while relaxing with friends or doing things I love. 

Do NOT compare yourself to others.

If you’re applying to grad school, odds are you are surrounded by others (friends, family, classmates, Linkedin connections) who are doing the same thing because smart people surround themselves with smart people. While this can provide an amazing support network, it can also make it really easy to feel like you’re falling behind. You’re not! Just because some random friend of a friend on Linkedin knows where they’re going to law school already doesn’t mean you’re not going to end up somewhere equally (or more!) amazing. 

For the love of God, stay off Reddit.

Along the same lines as #3, do NOT go on Reddit. Some of my worst days during this application cycle happened simply because I succumbed to the urge and logged into the law school admissions page on Reddit, and it was never worth it. I always left feeling anxious and inadequate. If you’ve already resolved to not compare yourself to your friends, why the heck would you compare yourself to random (anonymous) strangers on the internet??!! Just don’t do it.

Believe that it will all work out in the end. 

No matter where you end up going to law school, I am sure it will be a good fit for you. And if it’s not, you’ll spend three years there and then leave with a degree that you’ve been working towards your entire adult life. Manifestation and confidence in the process are so real, so trust that whatever will be will be. There’s a huge element of this process that is entirely outside of your control, so you might as well lean into that and let fate take the wheel! 

Overall, the law school application process is a monster, but know that many people (me included!) are cheering for you. Take a deep breath and trust the process. 

Rosie Rohrer

Wisconsin '24

I'm Rosie! I'm a junior at UW studying Political Science and Legal Studies, and I'm from Wauwatosa, WI. In my free time, I love running, reading, crocheting, and spending time with my friends!