This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Can’t miss December activities

December is one of the busiest months of the year, especially for college students. It can be stressful and fun, with studying for exams, prepping for the holidays, and planning for the future. These are the best ways to fill your busy December with fun, while also getting all of your work done. 

You should get brunch with your friends at least once in December. This can be a great way to take a break from your hectic lives and enjoy a mimosa. This year, I also want to go to Gordon’s to relive the waffles with strawberry sauce from freshman year. I love to camp out at Panera to do work during finals and get a you-pick-two with the chicken avocado panini. This is a great way to be productive while treating yourself and having a fun day with your friends. 

Holiday shopping is always a December must. On Black Friday, I mostly end up window-shopping and browsing. But the holidays are the perfect time to look for deals to buy gifts for everyone on your list, and even something for yourself. I prefer online shopping because you have so many options. Amazon has changing daily deals throughout December, Nordstrom usually has deals before the holidays, and so do Athleta, Sephora, Free People, Aerie, H&M, and more. 

With finals coming up, you should make sure to keep track of all your assignments and follow a study plan. It’s crucial to start studying early, so you don’t get too overwhelmed with all the things going on. I recommend making a study plan at least two weeks before each final. I find practice tests, summary sheets, and annotating old notes the most helpful. I also love studying at the Historical Society in winter because the academia vibes make me feel more studious. 

With all the preparation for finals, it’s important to take care of yourself and relax. You should make sure to mix in self-care while studying. You can do face masks and other skincare to make you look your best. Working out can relieve stress and make you feel healthier. Since you might be missing out on some sleep while studying, taking a nap can help you re-energize. Enjoy some tea or a smoothie to relax and get more nutrients. Finally, I would recommend rotting on the couch watching your favorite show or movie and letting yourself turn your mind off for a while. 

A great way to take a break in December is to go to one of your favorite restaurants or order takeout. Going to a restaurant with your friends is great because you can get good food and make it a little more of an event than just takeout. My favorite restaurants are Lucilles, Graze, RED, Ramen Kid, the Globe, and Paul’s Pel’meni. You should also get warm drinks like hot chocolate, coffee, and hot cider. My favorite café to get a hot drink at is Fair Trade, and I like Kung Fu Tea to get boba, but there are lots of other great locations on State Street. Paul’s and the Globe are great options for takeout if you want to order in and watch a good movie. 

Another thing you could do is plan a cozy night at your apartment and watch a holiday movie with your roommates. You should get all the blankets you can and wear comfy clothes to have the coziest experience. I would also recommend getting plenty of snacks, such as popcorn, or my roommate’s favorite, nachos. Some of the best winter movies to choose from are Home Alone, Harry Potter, Love Actually, or any of the cheesy holiday movies on Netflix. 

Cooking and eating big meals are an important part of the holiday season. A fun way to spend your time is to cook a holiday feast with your friends. If you want to challenge yourself, you could make a nice chicken, or buy a rotisserie chicken and focus on classic sides like mashed potatoes and green beans. If holiday foods aren’t your thing, you could make whatever your favorite dishes are. Don’t forget about dessert; cookies and brownies are simple if you use a box mix or pre-prepared dough. You could even do a cookie decorating night. To add even more to the night, you could decorate your apartment or do a holiday craft to make everything more festive.

You should always take time for yourself and have fun during the busy month of December. Having the perfect December is all about balancing finals, holiday prepping, self-care, and friendships. Do things that help you relax, like reading a book and planning fun activities with your friends, such as ice skating. 

Kathryn Sobota

Wisconsin '23

UW-Madison '23