This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

There’s a reason that many people learn a language in a classroom setting; it’s an organized environment that forces you to advance your skills by a deadline, whether it be a homework assignment or exam. However, not everyone has the means to take a language course. So what can you do if you’d like to learn a language? As someone who has self-taught myself the basics of a few languages, I’m here to provide my best tips! 

The internet is your best friend. 

Luckily, we live in a day and age where information is easily accessible. Forget buying a textbook — you can find what you need online! From apps like the infamous Duolingo to various websites designed to teach you countless languages, you can’t go wrong. I personally enjoy Duolingo because it provides some structure for your learning and it presents itself more as a game than learning. If you don’t enjoy getting reminders from the Duolingo owl frequently, there are many alternatives. Even YouTube has a lot of great beginner videos.

Don’t limit yourself to learning in a “traditional” way.

I definitely had a hard time breaking myself of this habit. Due to the fact that I had learned Spanish in a classroom setting, I had the tendency to mimic that experience. That is all fine, but when you realize the freedom you have, the experience becomes much better because you can tailor everything to how you want to learn.

Try to immerse yourself in that language. 

This can be difficult at first if you don’t have a strong handle on the language, but you can define immersion however you’d like. For example, you could change your phone’s language to your target language. You could also make a playlist of songs in your target language. Personally, I love listening to music and watching videos, TV shows and movies in the language I’m trying to learn (and subtitles work wonders). 

The U.S. is full of different languages — take advantage of that! 

If you go to school at a larger university, you’re likely going to find yourself surrounded by many languages — not to mention universities usually have very extensive language departments. I will be the first to say that speaking to others is easily the most intimidating part of learning a language — having the opportunity to do so early on is a very special opportunity, so take advantage of it! Universities may have conversation tables for learners and native speakers alike to have casual conversations. There also are probably students that speak the language you’re trying to learn that also attend your school. Make new friends and practice a language in a low-stress way! If where you live does not have these opportunities, the internet is your best friend once again. Apps like HelloTalk exist where you can talk to people in your target language and you can simultaneously help them learn English. 

Hold yourself accountable. 

Having the motivation and determination to continue is truly the hardest part. Just remember, no one is perfect! I definitely don’t practice every single day — especially during midterm season — and you have to realize that is A-OK. What I can say is that for some people, it can help to set goals. Perhaps it’s a desire to travel to a country or talk to a friend in that language. Whatever it is, a short or long-term goal can help motivate you. If you have a hard time motivating yourself, it can be helpful to begin learning a language with someone else so you can push each other to keep at it. 

If you have the means to take a language class, I would recommend it! However, if you can’t, I hope these tips are helpful in beginning your language learning journey. 

Chloe Billstrom

Wisconsin '20

A junior studying Sociology, Spanish, and Global Health who also has a love for writing and languages.
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.