books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

How to Stay Motivated When It’s Nice Outside

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Spring: the time when Badgers everywhere want to trade in their days stuck in the library for days on the docks. Spring always seems warmer than it actually is (weather in the 50s after months of in the 20s? Yes, PLEASE!), and makes homework the last thing on anyone’s mind. However, spring is not the time to slack off because it only means one thing: the end of the semester is quickly approaching, which also means it’s our last chance to give our grades that extra boost.

Here are some tips to stay motivated for the rest of the semester:1. Take breaks

While spending long days in the library is pretty inevitable at the end of the semester, there is still time to enjoy the weather. If you plan on spending the day there, make sure to fit in either a lunch or coffee break that allows you to get outside and enjoy the sunshine—even if for just a little bit.2. Get Moving

Exercising is already a proven way to relieve stress during finals week, so why not make your study break an exercise break? There are so many gorgeous, scenic trails in Madison, so why not get out into the fresh air and get your blood pumping?3. Order an Iced Coffee (or Smoothie)

Nothing screams summer more than that first sip of your iced coffee. You’re already going to be consuming copious amounts of coffee during finals, so why not celebrate the nice weather with an iced brew?4. Study Outside (with caution)

Try and pick a nice spot outside with minimal distractions, preferably a place where you know a lot of other students might be sitting outside studying, as compared to a place where you know there might be a lot of families (and cute dogs, babies, and so much more).5. Study somewhere that isn’t where you live

If you are actively walking somewhere else to study, you will still be able to enjoy the day. Nothing feels worse than sitting inside studying all day and not even stepping foot outside when it’s so nice out. If you’re walking to another location to study, you still get to enjoy at least part of the day.6. Reward yourself with a Terrace trip

It’s pretty hard to study at the terrace with the huge amount of non-student presence, but reward yourself after a hard test or a long day of studying by taking a little break and sitting outside to enjoy the sunset. Sit back, relax, and enjoy that scoop of ice cream because chances are you deserve it.7. Remember: Summer IS coming!

It’s one thing to pass up a really nice unseasonably warm day in late October, but in late April, summer is only getting started. It’s comforting to know that much warmer and sunnier days are ahead, so it’s alright if you don’t completely have the time to fully enjoy the sun just yet. Knowing this while you are studying for your exams will only motivate you to study harder. Summer is just a few tests away!Study strong, Badgers! Summer days and nights will be here before you know it!

Hi, I'm Abby Coppens, a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison. I'm pursuing a degree in Economics and Retail. In my free time, I really enjoying hanging out with my friends and family, doing homework, biking, and reading. I'm the biggest friends fanatic on the planet. Go Badgers!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!