burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Navigate Mother Natures Wrath

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s that time of year again…That is, the time of year when Mother Nature sits back and laughs at everyone trying to figure out how to deal with the ever changing weather. 50 degrees in the morning and 85 degrees by the afternoon? Sun for hours and then five minutes of a torrential rainstorm? Well, that’s just your typical September day in Madison. So for everyone who, like myself, struggles with how to dress for this unstable weather, here are some fool-proof ways to stay one step ahead of Mother Nature!

1. Invest in some zip off pants/shorts. Cold in the morning? Put on the pants. Hot in the afternoon? Zip them off into shorts! Genius. Might I suggest these snazzy ones from Cabela’s?

*Pro-tip: If you can’t afford a new pair of pants, just carry around a pair of scissors and turn those jeans into jorts!

2. Layer up!

Nothing says “I see you, Mother Nature” quite like wearing every article of clothing you have in hopes of being prepared for whatever the weather throws at you.

3. Bring a fan to class. You will inevitably be sweating like a pig by the time you get to your class in Bascom because you dressed for 55 degree weather without factoring in the sun and the physical exertion required to scale Bascom. Rookie mistake. With a convenient portable fan, you no longer have to worry about sweating on the person next to you in lecture. Just make sure your fan isn’t too loud. Look, they even make fans for iPhones!

4. Always carry an umbrella. Not only will this save your butt in case of an impromptu rain shower, but it can also double as a sun umbrella. Now you can look like a posh, Victorian elite while walking to class.

5. Purchase a rolling backpack. This way you can pack some extra clothes in case the weather does a 180…which it will.

6. Socks and ‘Stocks. Need I say more?

*Bonus: When your feet get warm, just toss your socks into your handy new rolling backpack!

There it is, folks. I hope you found this enlightening and helpful as we attempt to outsmart Mother Nature and her wrath. Your move, Mamma Nay.

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!