This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

In the midst of this global pandemic that is causing some unwanted forced family bonding, it seems like a great time to shed pure joy and happiness. Some of you may not know who Kacey Musgraves is, it’s ok, we forgive you for being uncultured, but she is the perfect embodiment of a space cowboy rodeo queen who mixes country and disco together to create magic. Her music and her amazing outfits really brighten up the world. This is basically my love letter to her, and I am not ashamed.

Kacey has always been on my radar ever since her first album Same Trailer Different Park. She was just a young country singer with a hit song “Follow Your Arrow” that was quoted on every mug in TJ Maxx. I knew her song and I didn’t switch the station when it came on the radio, but I wasn’t fully invested in her music at the time. When she won Best Album at the 2018 Grammys, I honestly had to look her up because I forgot what songs she sang. I felt like a fraud because normally I am up to date with the latest celebrities and songs of the year. I knew I had to get on board so I would fit in, but twitter confirmed that not many people knew who she was either. I remember seeing many comments on how Post Malone or Drake should have won and sadly I agreed with them, at the time.

palm trees sunset pink sky fun adventure original
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus
I didn’t know how much power Kacey Musgraves possessed. I first listened to her album Golden Hour while I was on my spring break trip last year to the Gulf Shores, Alabama. My sister and I would play Golden Hour on the beach, during sunset and dancing around in the water. I would recommend this as a form of therapy because it clears the mind and you just feel happy. The whole ride home I played the album on repeat until I knew every song forwards and backwards. At that moment in time she became my idol and I knew she was something special.  
woman at a concert putting hands in a heart shape
Unsplash, Anthony Delanoix
I had the amazing opportunity to see her live at Lollapalooza this past summer. The situation kind of fell in my lap and I think it was fate. This girl was selling her Sunday pass because she broke both her feet (crazy, I know). I had already gone on Friday and had the best time seeing Childish Gambino and I was still exhausted from it at the time. She was selling the ticket on Saturday and I impulsively bought it because I knew this chance wasn’t going to come again. The only problem was, I didn’t have an outfit, so you can imagine the stress I was feeling running around the mall trying to find a fit that would match Kacey Musgraves’ energy. The vibe at her concert was so positive and loving as if she knew I was coming. The moment she came on stage I started tearing up because she was just the most beautiful person ever. I sound like a nerdy fangirl, but I am embracing it.  
Anna Schultz-Good Morning Sunshine Denim Shirt Summer Fun
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
All of the songs on her album are perfect and I suggest listening to them all day every day. Her song “Happy & Sad” really had an effect on me when I was moving to college. The title of the song pretty much describes the meaning but it’s about being happy and sad at the same time and not knowing what to call it. The time when I was leaving home and moving to Madison, I was excited to start a new chapter in my life but also scared to leave my family. The song kept playing in my room when I was packing and on the car rides to say bye to my friends. Kacey my girl, she really had to make saying goodbye that much harder. 

Kacey and I have a very personal relationship. She liked my tweet once. Nothing is confirmed but her next song may be titled Rodeo Disco because of that said tweet. My one dream is to visit her exhibit in the Country Music Museum in Nashville. She has been featured there since January and it is up until September, so I need to get there before then. She really has helped me be a more positive light to people around me. During this quarantine, I am sure my family will be sick of the constant Kacey Musgraves, but her music makes me really happy around everyone, including my family, and that’s all that matters.

Woman with headphones listening to music
Bruce Mars
  I hope you all are staying safe and healthy during these uncertain times and still remember that there is always time for a Golden Hour.  

Grace Paar

Wisconsin '23

Hello, My name is Grace Paar and I enjoy peanut butter and jelly sandwiches cut into triangles.
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.