A How-To Guide on Finding Reliable News Sources

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Our country revolves around a solid democratic process, which depends on many things. One of them being freedom of the press and accountability, which go hand-in-hand. As citizens, we get the right and privilege of knowing what the leaders of our country are up to, and journalists and news organizations get the opportunity to tell us these things. However, with great opportunity also comes great responsibility, though. Sadly, it’s not always executed this way. Now more than ever, our newsstands and internet searches are plagued with sources that are either biased, skewed, or simply false. This also means that, now more than ever, the country should be taking all educational measure to ensure they’re finding the best news sources.

Why should this matter?

We live in a time where “he-said, she-said” can be taken as legitimate proof— it’s not. To make sure everyone is reading solid, evidential news, it’s important that we fully eliminate this mechanism. Reliable news is not only an issue for journalists, but also for consumers. That said, the perfect equation is a reliable journalist and a responsible reader. And when both cease to exist, problems arise.

Here are some steps you can follow to make sure you are holding up your end as a responsible reader:

1. Do some looking first.

Just as anyone would do when they (responsibly) shop for anything, you should always do some digging into which news sources are the best. Read reviews on different outlets, and look for any biases you see. You can use this to make sure you have a basic knowledge of the reliable ones. Better yet, research them all! It will give you a good shot at finding the outlets you like best, or writing styles you’re into. It’s a win-win step.

2. Actually read the article.

A lot of times people fill themselves with rage after reading just the headline “blurb,” not having fully understood what the contents of the article actually contain. Reading the full article, and not just whatever shows up on your social media timeline, is the first thing you need to do to ensure you are getting the full picture.

3. Ask yourself, “Have I heard of this outlet before?”

Sometimes you are your best falsehood debunker. Thinking back to your familiarity to a particular news source can really help you decide if you want to interpret its news seriously. Researching your news outlets can really help you— if you see a lot of reliable ones pass through your view, an imposter will stick out even more.

4. Check for writing/grammar issues.

This is huge, as the lack of editing and desire to present a good piece of writing is a tell-tale sign of a hoax. Imagine you’re hiring someone for your business; these basic skills would be important to you, wouldn’t it? Don’t take it lightly, and do some thorough proof-reading.

5. If there are facts, look into them.

This one is something a lot of people hate doing because it takes time. But it’s one of the most important steps! A lot of readers don’t realize that news sources aren’t necessarily primary sources when it comes to facts. In other words, they often get their information from other sources. So even if you’re finding yourself reliable news sources, it’s always good to double-check the information your consuming, especially when it concerns a controversial or important issue.

Always remember that news is not something anyone should take lightly. It can affect real people and effect real issues. You can help highlight that importance just by taking the responsibility into your hands as a consumer: spreading the education it takes to look into sources is a great place to start.

Olivia is an adventurous sophomore at UW-Madison! She's pursuing two degrees in both journalism and mass communication, as well as literature. Olivia's favorite things about being a Badger is the school spirit, and the ability to always have something new to explore on campus. You can catch her at the Union or a coffee shop on the weekends with her friends!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!