How to: Get Along With Your Roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

As you much as you love one another, sometimes you just get too much of your roommates. You may have the roommate that listens to music too late at night, or have the roommate who doesn’t know how to pick up after herself. It can become overwhelming to deal with these ongoing annoyances. It’s difficult to confront her because well, you have to live with her still. I’ve come up with a brief list of how to get along with your roommates…enjoy!

1. Separate the refrigerator

Assign an area for each roommate’s food. That way, there will be no fights about whose food is whose. I swear it works well!

1. Schedule shower times

Nothing feels worse than waking up expecting to fit in a shower before class and your roommate is already in the shower. Schedule with your roommates of when you want to shower to avoid any problems!

1. Lists on lists on lists

Make lists with everyone’s name on it for all the chores (like vacuuming, dishes, garbage, etc.). That way, once you have completed a chore, you can cross your name off and won’t have to do that chore again until everyone else has done it. This has worked really well with my roommates and I; I’d recommend it to anyone!

1. White noise

Chances are, not all of your roommates go to bed at the same time. If you are someone who goes to bed on the earlier side, use a fan or other white noise to cancel out your roommates noises. Usually the walls in most college apartments/houses are thin, so you can hear just about everything. My roommate always uses a fan to cancel the noise out, and I tend to use my television!

1. Personal space

Many times, when someone is upset they prefer to be by themselves. If you can tell your roommate is upset, just let her settle down by herself before trying to console her. She’ll appreciate it that you are not bombarding her.