This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s 2 AM, and you still can’t sleep. You’re tossing and turning–your mind racing. The lack of a full night’s rest takes a toll on nearly every aspect of our lives, from our mood to our academic performance. Instead of struggling for hours to fall asleep, try these techniques to do so more quickly.

Block out noise.

Whether it’s snoring or the beeping of trucks outside your window, any distracting sounds are annoying and will keep you up at night. Try blocking them out with a fan or by listening to a soothing playlist.

Turn off electronic devices.

Electronics, especially your cellular device, keep you up. It has become normal to scroll through Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook before trying to sleep. Instead of this, turn off your devices before you crawl into bed; your bedroom is for sleeping, not for social media or replying to emails. 

Keep your room at a cool temperature.

It is scientifically proven that you fall asleep faster when your bedroom is cooler. During the summer months, keep your room at a comfortable temperature.

Relax your body.

Doing simple yoga positions, stretching, or taking a bath can help relax your body. These also reduce general aches and pains.

Relax your mind.

Late night thoughts? It is often hard to go to sleep because your mind is racing, thinking about a future exam or job interview. If this is the case, try writing your thoughts down in a journal.

Preparing your bedroom, body, and mind is conducive to a good night’s rest. Try these techniques, and hopefully they will help you fall asleep and stay asleep.

Cover Image Source

Ana Hoff

Wisconsin

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!