samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To: Dress for Your Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

So you’ve landed your first big internship—congratulations! It’s true, getting the internship is half of the struggle. That is, until your remember that you absolutely hate all of your clothes and have nothing to wear. Business casual? Is there a special section at Macy’s for that?

I would like to share with you all some of the best advice I have ever received:

Dress not for the job you have, but for the job you want.

This means that if your boss says jeans are allowed, but no one else in the office wears them, do not wear them. Having the right outfit can make or break the first impression you make on your coworkers, no matter how fancy your resume. Here are just a few tips to choosing the perfect outfit every time.

1. Dress for your industry.

One of the biggest things to consider when shopping for internship clothes is the industry you’re going to be working in. Yes, pointed toe pumps and pants with a bold print might rock in the fashion industry, but at a law office they might be a bit over-the-top. Consider what other people around you will be wearing. People should be talking about you because of your hard work, not your drastically inappropriate outfit.

2. Listen to your feet.

There is hardly anything nothing worse than a girl who cannot walk in heels. Some of us can and some of us can’t. The thing about internships is you never know what you’re going to be doing. No matter what shoes you’re wearing, you better be able to hop, skip and run in them without wobbling like a baby giraffe. I recommend investing in a good pair of ankle booties with a chunky heal—they don’t squish your toes and go with almost anything. Then again, there is no shame in wearing flats, and your feet will thank you.

3. Find a few mix-and-match wardrobe staples.

I am a firm believer that if you love an article of clothing, it is completely acceptable to buy it in every color. Why not? I’m not going to lie, when I found the perfect blazer I bought it in three colors. Those turned out to be my first go-to when I couldn’t decide on an outfit and I always felt great. This item could be anything, but if it makes you feel comfortable your confidence will skyrocket without even trying.

4. Do your research.

When I landed my first internship, I spent hours (probably days) Google-ing what the women who had my dream jobs were wearing. Stalker-ish? Yes. Helpful? Hell yes. When I read an interview with the Editor-In-Chief of the magazine I was interning for saying she couldn’t live without her faux leather leggings, that was the first thing I bought. Like I said, dress for the job you want.

Here are a few other good rules of thumb:

• When it comes to accessories, less is more.
  • Please never wear flip-flops.
  • Keep the perfume to a minimum; you never know who is sensitive to certain fragrances (been there, done that).
  • No miniskirts, bodycons, or cleavage.

There are so many more things I could say on this topic, but I trust that all of you are smart and fabulous enough to figure it out yourself. You’ll all be accepting your dream job in no time!

Hillary (@hillarybautch) is an aspiring yogi, a writer, an amateur photographer, and the first to offer a witty anecdote. She loves curling up with a good book, but rarely allows herself the time. She is one of "those" morning people and has complete faith in the higher power that is Beyonce.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!