jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Brighten up your Life in the Dead of Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Sometimes it can feel like a drag to be productive or even put a smile on your face when cold weather and snow roll around. While some people are good at embracing the winter, others of us need to take a different approach in making it summer: making our own warm and sunshine.

1. Re-organize your room and add some pops of yellow

A good way to spice up your normal is arranging your bedroom furniture in a different way. It can trick your brain into feeling like it’s a brand new space, and the novelty could be just what you needed to feel excited and renewed.

To take it one step further, try adding some yellow accent pieces – think throw pillows, a blanket or some wall art! Not only is it a chance to change out décor, but the color yellow is said to bring about optimism, brightness, a cheery attitude and mental clarity.

2. Get a manicure with hot pink polish and buy yourself a bouquet of fresh flowers

If there ever was a time for retail therapy, winter would be it. When you have the time to treat yourself, head to a nail salon for a manicure and some pampering. Usually, it is normal to get neutrals or dark colors during cold seasons, but I say break the rules and head straight for the hot pink polish! How can you not be happy wearing a color like that?!

On your way home, stop and buy a bouquet of flowers. Keeping with the same trend, the brighter the better! Choose whatever catches your eye most. It’s the perfect addition to liven up any room – no warm weather needed.

3. Make yourself a piña colada, light a tropical-scented candle and watch some 90210

I like to call this one “sips, smells and sights.” Basically, if you can’t go to the beach (Thanks, school.), then bring the beach to you. This is the perfect way to sit back and dream about being on the sand and under the sun.

I know some of you may be wondering why I picked 90210; allow me to explain. With the California sunshine and regular beach club access, it can be easy to get lost in the setting. Plus, adding some teenage drama is sure to turn up the heat.

4. Start a new Pinterest board filled with the perfect summer outfits

Out with the old and in with the new. By the time warm weather rolls around, new fashion trends will be flaunted on the sidewalks. Stay on top of what will be popular by taking to Pinterest now. When looking at outfits, think concerts, beach days and ice cream dates.

It’s never too early to start planning, and by using Pinterest, you won’t feel the pressure to buy like you might when looking at store websites. The name of the game here is getting inspiration now so you can spend more time in the sun and less time in the closet.

5. Change your phone background to a picture of Zac Efron at the beach and only write with colored pens/markers

Okay, so you might think this one sounds silly, but hear me out. Your phone and your notes are two of the things you look at most as a college student. They always say to surround yourself with positive things, and I can’t think of anything better than a hot bod and pretty writing.

If you need any more convincing, I highly suggest starting with a Google search of Efron beach pics. Trust me, they are positively drool worthy – need I say more? As far as the notes go, I always find that making them fun makes me more productive and willing to spend a lot of time looking them over – not too different from the way Zac makes me feel now that I think about it.

Although quite specific, these suggestions are a sure way to brighten your surroundings and your mood when winter turns gloomy. Give them a try, and I’m sure you will be radiating sunshine all the way to spring break!

Aubrynn is a small town Wisconsin girl with big city dreams. She is currently a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison pursuing a career in the sports broadcasting industry. Some of her favorite things include smelling flowers, laughing with her friends, and the color pink. She hopes to inspire people to believe in themselves and to treat everyone they meet with kindness. You can keep up with everything happening in the life of Aubrynn on Twitter (@AubrynnVV) and Instagram (@brynnvv).
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!