How to Beat the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Daylight Saving Time brings us an extra hour of sleep on that one Sunday of the year, for which we are grateful, and also the inevitable sunset at 4:30pm. With darkness taking up a lot of your day, it’s really hard to stay motivated, especially at the end of the semester. Here are five tips on staying motivated and positive when it gets dark so soon.

1. Enjoy the daylight while it’s there.

It’s easy to avoid going outside at night, since it’s so dark out, so take advantage of the outdoors when it’s actually light out. If the winter weather is just too much for you to be outside, try opening your blinds, opening your window a crack, and making a nice cup of hot chocolate. Capitalizing on the daylight and fresh air when you can is very important. Don’t coop yourself in the library all day!

1. Get a plant.

This may seem like weird advice, but with most of nature being dead outside it can be beneficial to add some life to your indoor space. This also might be a great gift to give someone.

1. Drink more water.

Since it’s not very hot out anymore, we often forget to properly hydrate. The app “Plant Nanny” is great for tracking your water intake. If you’re having problems drinking enough water, get yourself a nice water bottle to make it more fun.

1. Make a to-do list of everything you have to do.

Feeling overwhelmed by all the work you have to do? Break it down to a simple list. It helps if you have what you absolutely have to do and what isn’t as necessary. Decorate it so it’s not as much of a chore.

1. Take time to do things you enjoy.

With all that’s going on, remember to take time for yourself. Get your coloring book out, turn on your favorite show or movie, and step back to take a deep breath. Remind yourself that all the stress will be gone soon and in the end it will be okay.

The “Winter Blues” is a common phenomenon that people of all ages are affected by, including many college students. With these tips, hopefully you can help combat these feelings over the long winter stretch.

Chloe Billstrom

Wisconsin '20

A junior studying Sociology, Spanish, and Global Health who also has a love for writing and languages.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!