Career

How to Apply for Summer Jobs Last-Minute

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Summer is approaching, a weird thing to think about as it still seems like the semester just started. Not only do you have to freak out about signing up for fall 2019 classes, studying for finals, and getting a decent amount of sleep, but on top of all that, you have to figure out what you are doing this summer. Finding a summer job that is paid, interesting and in the industry that you are looking for may not be easy, but it is doable.

While many competitive summer jobs are no longer taking applications, many organizations are still on the prowl for interns. Websites such as Indeed, LinkedIn, Handshake, and NeuVoo are continually updating with new jobs on a daily basis. If you are planning on staying in Madison, the campus has plenty of opportunities to work, which are posted on the student job page.

Finalizing your summer plans may be difficult this late into the year, but it is not impossible. Constantly checking job websites, networking with individuals in your preferred field, and talking to your advisor are all helpful in determining what to do during the months of May, June, July and August.

1. Use Indeed (and other job websites like it, i.e. NeuVoo)

Indeed is a worldwide employment search engine that companies globally will post job listings on. Whether you want to work as a veterinarian or a civil engineer, Indeed has got you covered. By placing your desired place of work and job title into the search engine, hundreds of job listings will appear. On Indeed, you can upload your resume and have employers find you, however, it is best for you to seek them.

Indeed gives you the option of saving jobs, allowing you to go scroll through jobs when bored and apply later. Because it is so late into the school year, many jobs offered now are unpaid, however, UW offers stipends for students planning on interning over the summer with priority given to unpaid internships. Each school and major has different requirements so check with your advisor if this is of interest to you. College credit can also be granted for unpaid internships.

2. Explore LinkedIn Jobs

LinkedIn can be really useful when trying to determine what kind of field you want to go into. It is often difficult to find summer jobs if you do not know what you are looking for. By seeing what your friends in a related major have done, using the hashtag feature to narrow down searches, and looking at LinkedIn posted jobs, you will get a sense of what you want to apply for. What is nice about LinkedIn is that it will tell you when the job application was posted and how many people have applied. It is best to be one of the first to apply to show interest. These features are an advantage because you can see what you are up against. This late into the game, it would be best to apply to newer jobs with fewer applicants.

3. Look at Handshake

Handshake is similar to Indeed and LinkedIn Jobs, however, it has the unique feature of connecting through your college server. By entering in your Wisc email and password, Handshake collects your university GPA, declared major(s), and anticipated graduation date. The website then compiles ideal jobs based on your major and sorts them by the area as well. It also shows jobs based on campus (another good place to find last-minute summer jobs).

4. Refer to UW-Madison’s Student Job Page

If you have an apartment, or can find a place to cheaply sublet, then Madison might be your best bet of getting a summer job. The campus area loves hiring students, evident by the career fairs that take place throughout the year. The student job page has jobs on or off campus, for summer and fall. Often campus jobs aim to get someone to work over the summer who can continue on in the fall, an added bonus if you are looking to make some extra money and enhance your resume.

5. Search Google

Sometimes going from website to website can be a hassle, so it may become easiest to directly search the kind of job you are looking for into the search bar. Many jobs will link you towards Indeed or LinkedIn, while others may take you toward Internships.com or to the specific company site. The jobs say when the application was posted and can be filtered by location.  

6. Utilize Your Connections

Sometimes knowing someone is all you really need. If you have a connection to someone at a company you want to work at, reach out and find out if there are any availabilities. There is no harm in asking. If they do not have summer jobs, at least you got your foot in the door and showed an interest. If you know someone higher up in the organization, it is even possible that they will create a job opening just for you.

While applying for summer jobs is stressful, especially on a time crunch, the best thing to do is just apply, apply, apply. It doesn’t hurt to put yourself out there because the worst thing that they can do is say “no”.

Finding a summer job last minute may be tricky, but with many website options, jobs being updated daily, as well as school and personal connections, hopefully, the quest to finding a job will result in one!

Peri Coskey

Wisconsin '21

Meet Peri! She's a senior majoring in Communication Arts and Sociology with minors in Digital Studies, Gender and Women's Studies and Entrepreneurship. Her favorite things to do are watch Veronica Mars, thrift shop and chill with friends. When Peri is not taking naps, she can be found hanging out with her friends, most likely talking their ears off. Interested in seeing more of Peri's work? Check out pericoskey.com!