This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Yes, lacrosse is more than a city in Wisconsin.  It’s a fast-paced sport focused on skillfully moving the ball across the field with lacrosse sticks, keeping possession, and scoring goals.  Being a mix between hockey, soccer, and basketball, lacrosse is growing in popularity across the country more than ever.  If you’ve never seen it- watch.  Don’t let the skirts fool you.  You’ll be impressed by the girls workin’ their magic, mouthguard, goggles, sticks and all!  Holly Hovanec, a member of the UW Women’s Lacrosse Team spills about her experiences as a player, the fun expeditions of the team (did someone say New Orleans?!), and answers the burning question- boy’s or girl’s lax?  Guess you’ll have to watch both to decide for yourself.

When did you first get involved in lax?
I first began playing lacrosse the summer going into my freshman year of high school. My cousin played at Northwestern (the national collegiate lacrosse powerhouse) and I wanted to try something new, so she helped me out and got me hooked. I became involved on the club team here in Madison right after arriving on campus my freshman year, and became captain in the year following. It’s been a great experience for me, and I think that many of our girls will agree with me on that one!

What position do you play?
I play midfield and attack. I love running the field, so midfield gets me going from end to end for most of the game. I also get to be right in the action on the draw (the play which starts the game after goals) and fighting those out is really fun. I also like shooting and playing defense, so playing midfield gives me a nice change of scenery as the game progresses.

In high school did you compete in State tournaments? 
High school lacrosse, namely Loyola Academy Rambler lacrosse, was the highlight of my years.  I competed in state tournaments three years in high school. My sophomore year we placed second in state and my junior and senior years we were State Champions. There is no feeling like being number one and defending that title, I’ll never forget it. I can only imagine what winning national tournaments must feel like!  

How is club lacrosse different from high school?  What do you miss about high school lacrosse?
I loved high school lacrosse. I was captain of the freshman team my first year, and then was moved to varsity my sophomore year. I missed half of my sophomore season due to a concussion from a rock climbing accident, but came back full force my junior and senior years, starting every game for the Ramblers. My team was very intense, all the girls took it very seriously, and we all were driven year round to succeed. We played and practiced every day on this big hill near our high school, way above the surrounding towns and roads. I witnessed so many amazing sunsets from that field, shoveled snow off of it more than once, and ran miles and miles up on it. I miss playing there. I also miss having a coach. Coaching and leading a team is a very difficult thing to do, as I’ve learned these past two years. I miss having someone tell me what to do, ha! 

That being said, club lacrosse at Wisconsin has been an amazing experience. I have made lifelong friends on the team, through competition and camaraderie. Even though we all have crazy schedules, and we can seldom get every single girl together to practice, we can always pull through and work as a unit when the time comes. During games everyone’s competitive edge multiplies and I’m amazed at the drive and skills that my teammates step up and contribute. We have special memories from New Orleans, traveling to tournaments, practicing, working out, and hanging out, and that team aspect is something that my teammates and I find very special. If you play lacrosse and you want to be a part of UW women’s lacrosse, please contact us and come meet our team!

Has the UW Club Lacrosse Team traveled to any cool destinations to play against other teams?  What about yourself personally?
First of all, our team travels to New Orleans every spring to play in the Mardi Gras tournament down there. It’s always a great time, no doubt there. We travel to bordering states to play tournaments in the spring and fall, and cover a lot of miles. In high school I attended a couple of college camps which were fun, and the Underarmour Underclassmen All American Tournament my junior year of high school. We also took an annual trip to the East Coast to play teams there. The traveling that we do now in college is something I look forward to every year.

What events or activities does the club partake in during the year?

Our team is involved in tournaments and league events across the Midwest for the most part. We volunteer and host fundraisers when we can, along with aiding the men’s team in their endeavors. We are trying to become more active in Madison’s lacrosse community, and I think that this is our best opportunity right now. Since lacrosse is growing so rapidly in popularity, we can really have a positive impact on young athletes from this area. We are planning on hosting clinics and high school playdays in the future to help these kids learn the game from observing at the college level and having fun with us on the field. We would like to have a large role in producing quality lacrosse players from the Madison area and exposing kids to the best sport ever!  

You said you usually go to Louisiana during Madi Gras. Are you going this year? Explain your experience last year.
We will be heading down to the Big Easy in February, traveling with the men’s team. Last year the experience was great, as it always is. An 18-hour bus ride on a packed coach bus makes for some interesting stories, as does the constant flow of fast food that enters our systems over that 18 hour span. It’s actually a little bit gross. I always bring my own food, but it’s hard not to indulge in a McFlurry (oreo) on the way. Upon arrival, we settle in at the hotel and then head out to explore and satiate our pining for gumbo, catfish, grits and everything else Southern. We enjoy the nightlife and time spent together soaking in the jazz, street actors, parades and costume contests, and of course doing silly things to earn beads. There are many places to explore: the riverfront, restaurants, bars, and World War II museum (ok, maybe only if you’re a history nerd like me). On Saturday, the Mardi Gras tournament takes place. We usually play at least four games against teams like Virginia, Georgia, New Orleans club, and Vanderbilt. We have come away with big wins in the past, and this year will only be better. It’s a long day of lacrosse, and unfortunately the weather can be iffy for February in New Orleans. The park where we play is beautiful though, trees with Spanish moss and interesting birds. We also support the men’s team as they dominate! The tournament directors host a dinner and party after the tournament, and it’s always fun to mingle with the opponent and dance all night on already exhausted legs. The bus ride back is usually filled with homework, movies (last year we knocked out most of the Star Wars and The Hangover series) and… you guessed it… more fast food! We’re all looking forward to the upcoming trip! I know you want to join our team just to experience NOLA now.

Moment of truth- is girl’s or guy’s lacrosse better? 
Obviously girl’s lacrosse is better. Many people believe that women’s lacrosse is the female version of men’s lacrosse, but the games are actually quite a bit different. First of all, we do not hit and smack each other constantly with our sticks, and therefore we don’t need pads and helmets, only facemasks and mouthguards. The men’s game allows constant checking and pushing, and our game is about more finesse and grace than brutality. Men’s lacrosse is interesting though in that it seems to be a little more fast-paced at times than the women’s game. We run the field a good bit, and are only allowed to check when a girl is hanging her stick out. We’re still allowed to hit, don’t get me wrong, but only when the time is right! Most of our defense is body-body; we use positioning and physical contact to detain the opponent instead of repeatedly hitting their sticks. Our sticks are also designed differently than the men’s sticks, with ours not having the deep pocket, but being shallower. The fields vary from one another a little bit as well. Men’s lacrosse is definitely fun to watch with all the hitting and yelling, and it also takes excellent physical fitness and focus, but women’s is very cool and (in my opinion) more reminiscent of the original Native American game as well. 

Are you trying to make lacrosse a D1 sport at the UW?  How is the process going?
I’m trying! I emailed Barry Alvarez last spring about adding women’s lacrosse, and if he’s aware of the sport’s explosion. Northwestern, Penn State, Ohio State, and now Michigan all have D1 teams, and Wisconsin NEEDS to be next.  Mr. Alvarez’s response: “At this time we have no plans to add lacrosse but am aware of it’s growing popularity”. I appreciated his response, but wish that this could happen soon, like now, like four years ago.  I understand that there are funding, political, and many other issues surrounding adding a D1 sport, but there has to be a way to work it out or at least try!! The day that Badger lacrosse happens, I’ll pay the NCAA eligibility center whatever they want to give me just one more year of eligibility, because playing on that team would be pretty cool. 

For now, myself AND my TEAMMATES are the sole representatives of Wisconsin Women’s lacrosse, and we sure are proud of that, D1 or not!!

If you’re interested in playing or contacting us:
http://wisconsinwomenslax.weebly.com/(http://www.facebook.com/pages/Womens-Club-Lacrosse-at-the-University-of-Wisconsin-Madison/205209806186743

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Womens-Club-Lacrosse-at-the-University-of-Wisconsin-Madison/205209806186743

https://twitter.com/wiscowomenslax

Tricia Fishbune is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She plans on majoring in Communication Arts, and eventually wants to work in the entertainment industry in either journalism or public relations. Aside from writing, she loves to hang out with friends, meet new people, travel, exercise, and try new things. 
Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com