This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Your guide to the best Netflix Original Christmas movies

Time to get holly and jolly, folks! Netflix has been adding new holiday movies left and right. While I haven’t had time to watch them all just yet, they typically don’t disappoint. With that being said, here are my top five Netflix Christmas originals from the past couple holiday seasons!

1. The Princess Switch Series

This charming trilogy follows the magical story of a doppelganger-swap. Starring Vanessa Hudgens, a small town baker and a princess next in line for the throne swap places when they discover their uncanny resemblance. I won’t spoil anything, but let’s just say that for these two, sometimes the grass is greener on the other side. Last year, Netflix released the third and final installment (as of now) that completes this fairy tale series. It’s perfect for those who enjoy the whimsical aura of the holidays.

2. Holidate

Netflix’s Holidate executes the perfect balance of humor and romance. The movie follows Sloane (Emma Roberts) on her quest to navigate the holidays with a “holidate,” a date you bring around solely for the family events of the season. Sloane is sick of being the family’s chronically single member, so when she meets Jackson (Luke Bracey), he’s her perfect out. With neither one looking for a relationship, it shouldn’t be too hard to fake a relationship in front of Sloane’s family without catching real feelings… right? You can’t go wrong adding this witty romance to your must-watch list.

3. Love hard

Love Hard is a modernized version of a timeless tale. In this romcom, Natalie (Nina Dobrev) thinks she’s found true love through a dating app. She decides to make a grand gesture for the holidays and flies to him for Christmas. Only, when she arrives, she learns there’s a big secret her beau has withheld; his appearance. This movie follows the classic tale of beauty found within, and imparts that what’s inside is what really counts. 

4. A Christmas prince series

After a few years of hating on these movies because they looked corny, I finally decided to give them a chance last year. I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong in the way I viewed them; this series is wonderful for the holiday season! While they are a little corny, what Christmas movie isn’t? The series follows the magical tale of an ordinary girl, Amber (Rose McIver), who becomes a princess after falling in love with Prince Richard (Ben Lamb). From falling in love to getting married to having a child, the series follows Amber and Richard’s journey as a couple. There are many twists and turns throughout the series, so there’s not much more I can say without spoiling. You’ll have to watch them for yourself to find out. I promise you’ll find Christmas cheer in these joyful films.

5. Operation Christmas drop

This holiday movie follows the season’s intent and shows the gift of giving. The movie follows Erica (Kat Graham) and Air Force Captain Andrew (Alexander Ludwig) through the trials and tribulations of giving back. Andrew is struggling to keep “Operation: Christmas Drop,” an annual military gift delivery, alive when Erica arrives to cut it from the Air Force’s budget. Throughout the movie, Erica realizes the importance behind the operation and joins Andrew to keep it going. While the movie is fiction, the operation behind it is very real. Each year, the Air force drops both Christmas gifts and useful supplies to 55 islands (Stilwell et al., n.d.). 

Whether you’re interested in holiday trilogies or one time productions, Netflix has a plethora of original Christmas movie options. While you wait for this holiday season’s new releases, sit back, relax, and cherish one of these Netflix classics! 

Maddy Scharrer

Wisconsin '26

Maddy is a student at UW-Madison who loves to write. She plans to major in Journalism and Communications. In her free time, Maddy loves watching movies and hanging out with friends.