Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Here’s Why We Should All Stop Ghosting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

This generation’s Webster — Urban Dictionary — defines ghosting as “the act of suddenly ceasing all communication with someone the subject is dating [or talking to], but no longer wishes to date [or be involved].” Instead of telling people they’re no longer interested, people ghost with the hope that the ghostees will just “get the hint” and leave them alone. I will be the first to admit that I’m guilty of ghosting; I will even admit that I’m not just a one-time offender. Although I’ve been on the other side of things, I’ve still continued to ghost.

Ghosting has become a widespread social phenomenon, and it has sucked all of us in. But, we should put an end to this cycle. To do so, we need to first analyze and try to understand why ghosting has become such a huge issue. Is it because we’re so used to “unfollowing” people on social media that we let this habit invade our lives offline? Is it because it’s easier to avoid explaining to someone why we’re no longer interested? Whatever the reason, ghosting isn’t okay.

Ghosting is a way to cop out. But, we need these touchy conversations. Without them, we’re left feeling not only hurt, but also confused. These tough conversations are uncomfortable, but it isn’t fair to disappear from someone’s life without explanation. How are they supposed to move on? It’s almost impossible.

Ghosting someone is immature, and it shows your lack of respect for them. We owe it to the people we’re involved with, even if it’s just something casual. As I said earlier, I’ve been guilty of ghosting people because I couldn’t see the relationship going anywhere. But, I should’ve had the conversation with the person, even though it would’ve been very awkward. I know this well now because I felt like something was wrong with me — like I wasn’t good enough — when I was on the other side of things.

We’re all adult; it’s time to start acting like it when we’re handling our relationships. When it comes to communication, we all need to grow up. We can’t just leave things unfinished and questions unanswered. Have those conversations; explain yourself. I guarantee that everyone will better off in the long run.

Ali is a freshmen at UW Madison majoring in Fashion Design and International Studies trying to pursue her dreams of one day owning her own company.