Her Campus Wisconsin’s Worst First Dates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Almost everyone can say that they’ve had some absolutely horrible first dates, and our Her Campus team is no exception. Here’s a collection of some of the worst dates we’ve been on!

“I once went on a date with a guy that kept asking me all of these philosophical questions about life and going on about things like Marxism. He actually asked me what my “defining quality” was at one point. It was awful. I felt like I was on a job interview, not a first date.”

Hey, at least it was practice for an interview, right?

“As I was telling my date about myself, I mentioned that I had danced competitively for most of my life.  His response?  “Dance isn’t a sport.  Do you play any real sports?”  After I argued with him extensively on the athleticism required to be a dancer, he dragged our waiter into the argument to be the tiebreaker.  I won the argument and he sulked throughout the rest of our meal.”

NEVER insult dance, or cheerleading for that matter. You will always lose that argument.

“He brought his roommates along to happy hour and I was more attracted to his friend than my date. I guess it wasn’t the worst experience but it was definitely unexpected.”

Excuse me, can I have your roomies number?

“I once went on a “date” with a guy… aka we hung out at his house and his mom made us dinner.   We ate alone in the dining room where his family kept their pet birds.  There must have been 3 or 4 different bird cages, and they were all making squawking noises while we were eating.  SO. AWK.”

But like, at least his mom cooked. It could’ve been worse if he tried…

“Once I had gone on a date (our first official date) with a guy that I was super attracted to. Right as we were about to leave his place to go out to a restaurant (where we had made reservations), his mom called and asked if we could stay late and babysit his little brothers, just for an hour, as I was told. The guy didn’t want to blow off the reservations at the fancy restaurant, so he asked me to watch the kids for him, and THEN HE LEFT. I was literally stuck watching his brothers for three hours, and I wasn’t gonna just abandon the kids, but he never got the date, needless to say.”

Stephanie Tanner said it best, “how rude!”

“We were both 20, and he tried to order an alcoholic drink. When he was carded he immediately said, ‘I actually forgot my ID on my printer earlier when I was trying to scan it, because I’m traveling soon.’ It was so awkward.”

Word of advice boys: don’t try anything illegal on the first date, okay?

“I asked if he was having a bad time, and he straight-faced responded “It’s not the worst first date I’ve been on.”

Welp, thanks for the confidence boost.

“We had hung out once before and had a fun time together. He asked me on a real date which was getting coffee and a nice walk by the lake. As we were heading back to our dorm, we walked through a secluded pathway where he proceeded to ask me to be his girlfriend. ON THE FIRST DATE! I hardly knew the guy and was completely caught off guard by his question. Needless to say, I said no because I wasn’t ready. We hardly talked after that.”

No thanks, I’m not into that sort of thing, but good luck with the next girl!

“He threw up in my room.”

Um, ew?

If you think you’ve had a bad fist date, just remember: he didn’t throw up in your room.

Hallie Heath

Wisconsin '18

Hi guys, I'm Hallie! I'm now graduated from undergrad and law school at UW-Madison.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!