Her Campus Wisconsin’s Guide to Class Enrollment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Does trying to figure out your fall semester schedule leave you with nothing but frustration and a headache? Same. Her Campus-Wisconsin is here to make sure your next semester is painless and enjoyable! Here’s our thoughts on the worst and the best of UW-Madison classes…

The Best

“I’ve had some pretty amazing classes and professors at UW-Madison but my favorite one by far was AFRO154, Hip-hop and Contemporary Society taught by Alexander Shashko. This class went through the history and development of hip-hop from Jamaica to the Bronx, and the final classes touched on how hip-hop artists today are using their voices to impact society. Not only did the class help me develop a deeper understanding for music and the artists I listen to everyday, it also helped me better understand the societal divides we still have in our country, and why they continue to exist post the civil rights movement. I truly believe any class that can impact the way you think or see the world day-to-day is a class worth taking. It counts as an ethnic studies class, which is required for all UW-Madison students, so it’s definitely worth making room for in your schedule! This course is only offered to freshman and sophomores, so take the opportunity while you can— you won’t regret it!”

-Mckenzie, Journalism Major

“LANDARC 260 (History of American Landscape Architecture) incorporates principles of design, sociology, and history into an interesting 3-credit Humanities course. The class takes a look at the progression of American outdoor design trends from formal colonial gardens to modern minimalist design, and discusses how architectural styles resonate with American social standards and norms. I would recommend the course to anyone interested in design, gardening, or real estate. Taking this landscape architecture elective has definitely given me a greater appreciation of the landscape around the UW-Madison campus and beyond. The professor, Sam Dennis, is super chill and funny, too.”

-Kristin, Business major

“One of the most memorable classes that I have taken at UW so far was Theatre 150, Intro to Acting. I took this class the first semester of my freshman year before I committed to Theatre and Drama as a major. What I really loved about this class was that it was a great way for me to meet some of the most amazing, outgoing people on campus. The best part was that everyone in the class was of a wide variety of majors and ages! Most of my classmates had never had professional acting experience either, which was astounding to me when I first saw them act. My section was taught by Whitney Derendinger, who is energetic and has so much knowledge about theatre! I really suggest taking this class because it will definitely break you out of your shell and show you that you can do anything—even memorize a monologue—if you put your mind to it!”

-Alex, Thetre and Drama major

“Being in the School of Human Ecology, I’ve had my fair share of fascinating classes. Yet, no class has ever opened up my eyes as much as Consumer Science 173, Consuming Happiness. This is a course about exactly what it sounds like: how we can consume life and experiences in order to maximize our happiness. The subjects are captivating, and the readings are so interesting that you will find yourself wanting to read beyond what is required. I’ve learned so many interesting tidbits of information, and have implemented into my everyday life. Also, the professor, Christine Whalen, is phenomenal; she knows it all. She is incredibly passionate about the work she does, and it is hard to not be engaged when she is talking about it. You can’t be sad taking this class—promise.”  

-Abby, Econ & Retail Major

“If you really want a life changing class, take English 207: Intro to Creative Writing. Even if you don’t like to write, this class is for everyone. It counts as a Comm B class, too!  This class opens your eyes to the importance of words, stories, and the lives of everyone around you. A portion of the class focuses on poetry. Before this class, I thought poetry primarily consisted of Shakespeare— but it’s so much more. This class is also important to take because it opens your mind to what other people in your class are going through— people tend to write about their own lives and personal experiences. It’s so easy to get caught up in your own life and your own problems, so I think it’s important to step out of your comfort zone and pay attention the parts of people’s lives that are not readily visible, and this class does just that! I don’t have any specific instructor recommendation because all of them are good and passionate about what they do. Definitely take this class, even if you hate writing. You’ll be a better person for it.

-Julia, Life Sciences Communication Major and Global Health Certificate.”

The Worst

“PSA— Don’t take Com Arts 100: Intro to Speech Composition. I thought this class would be cool and helpful because I never took a public speaking class before, and I wanted to become a better public speaker. But, this class was a complete waste of time. Although it satisfies a Comm A requirement, there has to be a better way to do it. The class consisted of writing the most basic speeches and having timed presentations. The TA definitely wasn’t my favorite, either. They were often biased and did not allow room for any creativity. The TAs all had very diverse majors because no one is really a “public speaking major,” so their qualifications were skeptical at best. I would not recommend this class to anyone, and if you have to suffer through it then I am sorry. I truly feel your pain.”

-Julia, Life Sciences Communication Major and Global Health Certificate.

Luckily, our writers have more good experiences than bad. This is a fantastic school so your classes are bound to be great. Hope our tips can help with these tough decisions, though!

UW-Madison • Journalism: Double-tracking Reporting and Strategic Communications with a Certificate in Digital Studies  
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!