sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

HC Wisco’s Guide to Asking Someone Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Looking for someone to cuddle or for someone to carry you on his/her shoulder as you pick apples this fall? You better keep reading… Now that you’ve mastered the ways of making the first move, it’s time for you to level-up and learn the ways to asking a boy— or a girl, whatever floats your boat—out! This is your perfect chance to flaunt those couple costumes you’ve longed dreamed of wearing!

*Full Disclosure: throughout this article, I will refer to crushes as “him” but since at HC Wisconsin, we love all love, please replace “him” with the personal pronoun of your choice.

Share a link to your “Cute Date Ideas” Pinterest board to your crush’s Facebook Wall

Ideally you’d Photoshop you and your crush’s face into these photos. But feel free to skip this step if you’re looking for something subtler. And if posting on his wall is too high profile for you, try sliding into his Instagram DMs with a series of photos from @couplegoals. That should seal the deal.

Change your relationship status to include his name

A lot of people prefer waking up to “good morning” texts, but I can tell you that even more people prefer waking up to a Facebook notification telling them that they are no longer single. That will get him to text you a “wtf” text— a clear sign of joy and excitement. Works like magic every time. Thank me later.

Order matching flash tattoos online and hand-deliver one of them to him

If you’re trying to keep it low key, don’t try to have your crush get permanently inked with your name on them. Instead, order customized flash tattoos online and show up to his house with his name tattooed on your forehead. And while it’s subtle and temporary, there’s no better way of making a statement than that!

Connect with him on LinkedIn

Well, you two are already friends on Facebook, and you already follow them on Twitter. Time to take it one step forward. Send him a nice message on LinkedIn professing your love, or endorse him on some skills. It takes a lot of guts to connect with someone professionally, he will get the hint. There’s no better way to make a connection, am I right?

Sneak into his biggest class, and pass him a note

Everyone loves a good throwback to middle school! A cute simple message like “will you go on a date with me?” and checkboxes indicating “yes” and “no” should suffice. But don’t worry if he doesn’t pass a note back, one of your messengers might have just dropped it.

Don’t do anything about it

Instead, try drop some passive aggressive hints about dating each other. There’s no better way of showing your empathetic yet assertive side. Everyone loves a passive aggressive girl, right? If he doesn’t reach out, it just means you’re not passive aggressive enough. So try again! Be patient, and thank me later!

If one doesn’t work, try another! Don’t ever give up on hope, ladies! Happy mate-searching!

Haidee is a sophomore from Hong Kong at University of Wisconsin- Madison pursuing majors in Journalism and Sociology. Inspired by the humor and kindness of Ellen DeGeneres, Haidee aspires to be a journalist who dedicates her talents to human interest story or lifestyle story reporting (aka. someone who eats for a living). On top of being a die-hard Patriots fan and a New Girl addict, Haidee is also the ultimate foodie.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!