Happy Valentines Day ….for the Single Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Ahhhh Valentine’s Day. The one day of the year where it seems mandatory to exchange candy hearts, chocolate, roses, and teddy bears with that special someone. On this day all across the United States and other parts of the world, hearts will swoon and choruses of “Awhhh you shouldn’t have!” will echo across the land. For those who have that perfect man or secret admirer, this day can be pretty exciting and is definitely worth the hype. However, for those of us who are hopelessly devoted to Netflix & our body pillows, it’s just another day… Or is it?!

First of all, I’d like to give you lovebirds a little history on V-day. Why do we celebrate this St. Valentine guy with cheesy poems, chocolate covered strawberries, and getting it on in the candlelight?! It dawned on me that I really have no idea so I did a little research for both of us. This holiday has origins that come from Christian and Roman legends and traditions. While there were three Saints in the Catholic religion who were recognized as “Valentine”, there is one that seems to make sense. According to this legend, Valentine was a priest who served in Rome during the third century during the reign of Emperor Claudius II. Good old Claude decided that single, young men made better soldiers to serve for his army than those who were tied down with a family. To push his idea, he outlawed marriage to young men so they could serve. Valentine recognized the injustice of this act, and secretly continued to perform marriages for these men. When Claudius found out, naturally he had Valentine executed cause that was the thing to do back then. Other stories suggest Valentine was imprisoned for aiding the escape of Christians, and fell in love with his jailor’s daughter and signed his last note to her with “From your Valentine”. Whatever really happened. This guy was a sympathetic, romantic hero.

The celebration of St. Valentine’s Day is thought to have been placed in mid-February to Christianize Lupercalia, a fertility festival dedicated to the Roman God of agriculture, which Pope Gelasius declared Un-Christian in the fifth century. February 14 was declared St. Valentine’s Day, but only associated with romance much later due to the fact that this is the mating season of birds (this is the point where I’m sitting here like… wtf?). The first written Valentines appeared in the 1400s, and it is pretty cool that people have been doing this for such a long time. Sooo, maybe it is a tradition that we should continue? Never thought I would say that. Ever. Okay now I’m feeling all sentimental for absolutely no reason so I apologize if this gets weird.

My ex-boyfriend once said “I don’t understand why people need a specific day to buy gifts and stuff. If you love someone you should show them all of the time.” And now remembering that… I’m kicking myself. I totally agree with this, but sometimes people just need a reminder to show their love! This even applies to us single girls. You might have your eye on a cute guy on campus that you’ve met out a couple times, and you just need a little push. Today is PERFECT to give you the courage to put yourself out there!

If you’re like me, you don’t have anyone special to spend this day of romance with. There is no need for wallowing in your pajamas and self-pity and watching PS I love you with a box of Kleenex and froyo by your side. And for those of you who know me, that was last weekend. But no longer! We have no boyfriend, you’re absolutely correct. But we also have no rules, so honey, there is nothing holding us back tonight. Not only is it Valentine’s Day, but it’s also Thursday! We badgers know what that means… WEEKEND! So here’s what you need to do. First step, get off the futon and call your favorite fellow single ladies.  Second step, make a reservation at a nice restaurant. It’s a little late in the day to start thinking about this so even if you end up at Jimmy John’s or Chipotle, you can still make this night unforgettable. It’s all about the company you keep, after all. Next, pick out an outfit that makes you shine. You have an excuse to get dressed up and hit the town, so take advantage of it. Ditch your usual black, and put on some color. Pinks, corals, and reds are always appropriate, though admittedly cliché, for this night. There are only two guidelines for your outfit tonight. 1) Look hot and 2) Be CONFIDENT.  Now that you’re ready, there is one thing left to do. GO! Tonight is your night to have a classy dinner (not from a microwave or Gordon), go out, flirt with countless cuties, and shake your single booty without a care in the world.

While couples are snuggled up & in love, you can be out loving life itself. So carpe that diem and go get ‘em!

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com