This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

A wise woman once said, “In the real world, Halloween is when kids dress up in costumes and beg for candy. In Girl World, Halloween is the one day a year when a girl can dress up like a total slut and no other girls can say anything else about it.” It wasn’t always like this for us though. I distinctly remember eighth grade being the first year that I wanted to look sexy on Halloween, but before that it didn’t even cross my mind. Now, it is almost expected of girls to dress sexy, or at least cute, even if their costume on it’s own has no sex appeal whatsoever. Let’s take a look at what costumes would like if we wore them when we were little versus what they would look like now.

1. Princess

Then:

Now:

2. Cowgirl

Then:

Now:

This is an ACTUAL costume that people pay money for! Why isn’t she wearing clothes?! She is basically wearing a bathing suit. I bet she’s really cold.

3. Ladybug 

Then: Now:

This is basically the same thing as the cowgirl costume, but in red polka dot. I seriously wonder about the people who wear this. What would their grandmothers think?

4. Mouse

Then:

Now:

Try to talk about Halloween and not quote Mean Girls. I dare you.

Sophomore at UW Madison from Los Angeles, California.
Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com