yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Halloween: College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Halloween has always been the most fun time of the year; you get to dress up in fun costumes, eat tons of candy and stay out for the whole night with all of your friends. But now that you’re in college, Halloween is not about trick-or-treating or eating candy. Halloween in college means partying, dressing up crazy with all your besties and spending the next week in bed. Knowing what to dress up as in college can be difficult; you don’t want to look like a little kid anymore but you still want to look cute. Luckily in college there are multiple nights where you can dress up: the weekend before and after Halloween as well as Halloween itself! Here are a few costume ideas for college students.  

Superheroes. This is a great idea for a group costume because there are many options. There’s Supergirl, Batgirl, Captain America, Wonderwoman, etc. Superheroes are a fairly easy costume to dress up as. You could make it as PG or riskay as you’d like. 

You are never too old to dress up as something spooky, especially because you can spice it up however you’d like. Whether you are a vampire, ghost or skeleton, you’re bound to look super spooky in addition to looking super cute. Adding fake blood is also never a bad idea. 

You and your bestie want to do a costume together? An Angel-devil duo is always so cute. Thing 1 and Thing 2 is an adorable costume as well. There are so many ideas when it comes to a two person costume.

If you want to do a fun group costume with a couple of your best friends, dressing up as the Cheetah Girls, Spice Girls or any other girl group is always a great idea. These types of costumes make for the cutest pictures. Perfect for the insta. 

Don’t want to be basic? Try dressing up as a pun. “Cute but psycho” is one of my favorites. If you don’t feel like putting in a lot of effort there’s always  “bed head”, pjs and an eye mask, what could be better? 

After thinking about what to dress up as for Halloween in college, it’s important to ask ourselves what we shouldn’t dress up as. Incorporating aspects of another race/religion/ethnicity in your costume sends the message that you see someone’s culture as a costume.  If you are questioning whether or not your costume idea is offensive, it probably is. Halloween is supposed to be a fun time for you and all of your peers; it’s important that we don’t disrespect others in the process. 

Halloween is right around the corner and it’s a good idea to start thinking about what to dress up as. Halloween in college is honestly the most fun time of the year; there is always something going on. Whether you’re just hanging with your friends or there’s a party, always remember to be safe. Most importantly, have fun- it won’t happen again until next year!

I am a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying journalism with a minor in sports communication.
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.