Guys Take On: Spring Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Spring has sprung! In other words, your primary wardrobe no longer consists of layering five pairs of leggings, snow boots, and a parka to survive the blistering cold walk to class. The warmer weather can allow you to better express yourself and take more fashion risks.  So what do guys think of the latest spring fashion trends?  We asked three dapper college guys what their thoughts were on the most popular styles this season.

High-Waisted Shorts                                        

Dan: Acceptable when frolicking through a meadow

Mitch: Wearing these makes you look like Steve Urkel

Pat: Keep them at music festivals

Flower Hippie Headbands

Dan: Leave the high waisted shorts at the hippie festival, but these can definitely stay

Mitch: Yes, but don’t wear them in a dating scene

Pat: Appropriate whenever liquor is being consumed

Harem Pants

Dan: These are only acceptable while taming an elephant at the circus, otherwise unacceptable.

Mitch: You don’t want to look like MC Hammer. Do people actually wear these?

Pat: No comment

Rain boots

Dan: Has to be with yoga pants. …make it rain ;)

Mitch: Yes if it’s raining or in winter.

Pat: I think I’ve had enough of them

Statement Necklaces

Dan: A sophisticated statement necklace looks best when it’s a turquoise necklace on top of a black dress

Mitch: You have to be at least 30 years old with kids; it’s a MILF thing to wear

Pat: Reminds me of something that my Mom wears

Army/Cargo Jackets

Dan: I salute to that

Mitch: YES YES YES!

Pat: Hell yeah

Maxi Skirts

Dan:  Great through a summer’s breeze

Mitch: Show some skin, what are we Amish?

Pat: If you’re wearing them, a beach must be within a 2 mile radius

Boyfriend Jeans

Dan: Only acceptable if they’re mine ;)

Mitch: Like the statement necklace, only to be worn by a MILF.

Pat: Something only a post grad should wear

Birkenstocks

Dan: Classy

Mitch: I don’t give a shit about footwear really

Pat: The girl I marry better have at least 3 pairs

High-low Dresses

Dan: Party in the front, business in the back

Mitch: Not a fan, get off the fence and pick one or the other.  Did the tailor have a heart attack midway through cutting the dress?

Pat: Mitch has poor taste; I want to see more of these dresses.

Rompers

Dan: Leave rompers at baby gap where they belong

Mitch: Rompers make a girl look beautiful

Pat: I need some time for them to grow on me

Crop Tops

Dan: This is for “dem ratchets”

Mitch: Not if you’re my girlfriend. And if you’re going to wear it then you might as well just go in a bra

Pat: What’s not to like

So maybe guys don’t see eye to eye with us girls when it comes to spring fashion trends, but that doesn’t mean we should dress to cater to their preferences.  I don’t know about you, but I’m still going to rock the high-waisted shorts regardless if I’m frolicking through a meadow or not.

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com