Guide for online blogging

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

How many hours a week do we sit at our computer and accomplish absolutely nothing? Well, I spent about 2 hours on Facebook, Twitter and various blogs before I wrote this article. That’s two hours for one day, which doesn’t include the 2 hours I spent after lunch and the 30 minutes I spent when I woke up. It is a sad fact that we live in an age where we can literally lose time in cyberspace. For those of you who have no Self Control (both the concept and the lifesaving app), you may not want to read any further, because after viewing these fabulous blogs, you’ll never do homework again.

I typically spend my time on fashion blogs, and I found how diverse they can be. The most common fashion blog is an ego blog, as described by chic blogger, Andy of StyleScrapbook. An ego blog displays photos of the blogger or their work. For example, Andy puts up a new post each day showing her outfit for that day. This is my favorite ego blog because she is relevant, brings her own flare and the pictures are great. She lives in Amsterdam, so she gives a cultural prospective that is very interesting.

Personal blogs show a mixture of pictures of the blogger or pictures of other people and what interests her/him. Whereas ego blogs typically only post one look a day, a personal blog will have on average two to six posts. I was recently introduced to the personal blog The Fashion Hash. This girl grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, making her even cooler in my book. Her name is so clever and her photographs are amazing. I like looking at her blog because she posts her outfits, outfits that she sees on the street and anything that interests her. I learn a lot more about the fashion world and photography through her blog. She does a great job at making you feel the experiences in her pictures through her blog.

Tumblr takes blogging to a whole new level. I recently began a Tumblr and found it pretty intimidating. Bloggers who strictly use Tumblr (not bloggers who also put their information on Tumblr) are constantly updating. They will post more than 15 times a day. Tumblr has a feature that allows people to “reblog,” basically retweeting for blogging. This feature is why people post so much more on Tumblr; they put up their own posts and reblog others, giving people who follow more to look at. I thoroughly enjoy viewing Fashion Gone Rogue, Top Shop and Teen Vogue’s Tumblr’s.

Lastly, DIY blogs are everywhere, and not to mention, super helpful and creative. Fashion DIY blogs show you how to create looks you see in magazines, which can be difficult, but also a fun arts and crafts project. I love following hair and make-up DIY blogs; these are perfect to glance at while you are getting ready to go out. A great fashion forward hair blog can be found on Fashionising’s hair and hairstyles section. For runway to real way makeup advice, I like Lisa Eldrige’s makeup blog. Not only does she have makeup tutorials, but she also provides skin care advice.

There are so many blogs on the Internet, covering every topic you can possibly imagine. A great way to discover new blogs is through StumbleUpon because you are guaranteed to “stumble” across some great blogs.             

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com