Guide to It Girl Status: 10 Social Skills to Master

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

We all know an it girl. Girls want to be her, guys want to date her. She’s the girl everyone wants to talk to at the party. While we all may have a different image come to mind of an it girl, there’s one thing they all have in common: good social skills. Whether you’re trying to network for the future, or just trying to make a good circle of friends, these tips will have everyone flocking to you.

1. Walk up to someone standing by themself at a party.

Chances are, this person is dying for someone to talk to because he/she doesn’t know anyone at the party. It’s also a lot easier to have a genuine conversation with someone when they aren’t surrounded my other people.

2. “Who do you know here?” 

Most likely, you’ll find out you have at least one mutual friend. 

3. Ask open-ended questions. 

Don’t just give someone a compliment. Ask them where they got their shoes or what lipstick shade they used. This may seem obvious, but a lot of conversations end quickly with a short “thanks” and “your welcome.” 

4. Sit next to someone in class and talk about how much you love/hate the teacher. 

5. Don’t respond with just yes or no. Always follow up with, “yes and…”

6. Have a go-to funny/crazy/relatable story.

7. Admit you’re nervous about meeting people if you’re a freshman, transfer, or just new to a club.  It makes you seem more accessible and down-to-earth.

8. If you’re new to the campus, ask “What’s the best library/coffee shop/bar?” Another topic where you’ll get a lot of strong opinions.

9. Always have a safe exit strategy. 

I’ve faked phone calls way too many times before realizing I could easily have just said, “Oh my friend just got here, I’m gonna go say hi to her.”

10. Don’t forget to say, “It was great meeting you!” Even if it wasn’t. 

Even if you’re not new to campus, meeting new people and forming connections with them is a life-long skill. You won’t regret putting yourself out there or being the first person to start a conversation. And if the person totally blows you off? Shake it off, Taylor Swift style. You were probably just too cool for them.

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com