Life > Experiences

Gifts that Give Back for Everyone on Your List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s officially holiday season, so break out your winter pajamas, hot chocolate and the looming pressure of trying to figure out which acquaintances you’re close enough to so that you need to buy gifts for them. While I don’t have an answer to that particular problem yet (if you do, please let me know), I do have you covered for everyone you’re getting a gift for. While it’s really great to celebrate, the holidays are a reminder to appreciate the gifts you have and to give back — and these nine ideas are just some of the many places to do some holiday shopping for everyone on your list while giving back to someone in need.

1. For the Beauty Guru: The ColourPop Make-A-Wish Collection

For the friend who’s always falling down the makeup tutorial rabbit hole on YouTube, you might want to consider one of ColourPop’s most recent collaborations. The makeup company paired with Make-A-Wish to make 17-year-old Delilah’s wish of having a makeup line come true. Delilah’s collection includes four eyeshadows and three liquid lipsticks, and until January 11th, 20% of all proceeds from the collection will be donated back to Make-A-Wish. You can buy the collection here.

2. For your Laid-Back Friend: Pura Vida Charity

Pura Vida’s mission statement is all about appreciating the little things in life and slowing down to enjoy the ride. All of the simple string bracelets are responsibly handmade by artisans around the world, and on top of that there is a specific charity line of bracelets that each represent various charities, and some proceeds will be donated to that charity.

3. For the Animal Lover: WWF Plush

Who doesn’t want more stuffed animals? While the World Wildlife Foundation’s website has a variety of options for gifts, the cutest by far is the plush option. Each stuffed animal represents the “adoption” of an animal in the wild, with proceeds going to the WWF.

4. For the Lazy Sunday Lover: Sudara Loungewear

Sudara loungewear was created to help support victims of human trafficking, providing jobs and skill training for survivors. The line contains robes, pajamas and lounge pants that are made by women in India finding independence through the livings they earn with these jobs. You can find their website here.

5. The Christmas Candle, but more: Starling Project Candle

Ah, the Christmas candle. The perfect gift for the aforementioned acquaintance that you aren’t sure if you need to buy a gift for. Want to do some good with your candle gift this year? Try one from the Starling Project. The Starling Project sells hand poured candles that support providing sustainable energy to nations in need around the world.   

6. For the Friend Who Likes a Little Bit of Bling: Alex and Ani Charity

Alex and Ani bracelets are simple bracelets that make a big statement, with a variety of charms that represent different virtues or wishes for the wearer. There is also a line of “Charity by Design” bracelets that each represent and give back to a variety of different charities such as Alex’s Lemonade Stand, or Habitat for Humanity.

7. For Your Furry Friends: Shine for Dogs Leashes and Collars

Pets deserve the holiday love too! Shine for Dogs products light up to keep your pet visible and safe in the dark, and 100% of proceeds from Shine for Dogs are donated to animal shelters and rescues.

8. For the Classy One: Adornia Jewelry

For someone with potentially a more refined taste, check out Adornia jewelry. Aside from just some nice pieces, 10% of profit is donated to a different charity supporting female empowerment each quarter.

9. For Anyone: A Donation to a Charity of Choice in Their Name

Have someone that you just can’t pin down to one thing? A thoughtful gift that you can give to absolutely anyone is a donation in their name to a charity or cause that you think or know they might support. The options are endless, and you can personalize it to that one person.

This holiday season, check out these nine gifts that keep on giving!

Katie Semack

Wisconsin '21

Katie grew up in New York City and is a senior at University of Wisconsin- Madison studying Political Science and Communications. Her favorite pastimes include doing yoga, watching Golden Girls with her puppy, Gatsby, and empowering other women.