Get Crafty with DIY Projects This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

With the end of the year looming closer, I find myself increasingly daydreaming of all the things I’ll be able to do once I no longer have the burden of school work. When that happens, I suddenly find myself scrolling through Pinterest. One minute I’m writing a research essay, the next I’m pinning a recipe for peanut butter cookie dough brownies—amazing how that happens. After I’ve pinned about a dozen “healthy” and “guilt-free” dessert recipes, I eventually find myself looking up DIY projects for the summer.

Now, I normally wouldn’t consider myself a crafty person by any means—if it involves sewing or drilling of any kind, I’m out. But if I’ve got some free time, I like to try out fun, at-home projects. Here are some creative (and easy) DIY projects you should try this summer:

As Badgers, I think it’s safe to say that one can never have too many articles of clothing with Bucky’s face or the Wisconsin logo on it. But when it comes to baggy t-shirts that are two sizes too big, enough is enough. Turn your over abundance of oversized Badger T’s (or really any t-shirts for that matter) into cute and comfortable tanks for summer.

If you are obsessed with interior decorating (like me) but are struggling within the constraints of a college student’s budge (unfortunately, also like me), DIY home décor projects are the way to go. What I love about this DIY craft is that it has endless possibilities. It could be used for chips and dip, a candy dish, perhaps a jewelry stand—whatever you want, don’t be afraid to get “crafty” with it.  

Summer is the perfect time to play around with different fashion trends, and the one that should be next on your list are dip-dyed shoes. Put a different spin on the traditional Keds look by dying an old pair or purchasing some cheap knock-offs from Wal-Mart.

Commemorate some of the best memories you and your friends have had at this amazing school so far by creating a photo collage on wood cutout of the state of Wisconsin.

How to:

·      Order a wood cut-out online or find someone really handing to cut it with a jigsaw

·      Paint the sides red and the front white with acrylic paint

·      Use mod-podge to paste printed photos on the front

This project would also make a perfect graduation gift for anyone with friends who are high school seniors coming to Madison next year—just write a cute little message on the back!

If you’ve got some time and a dollar store near by, try out these fun and easy DIY projects this summer!

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com