Freshman First: Belly Dancing!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

We have a belly dancing club? Out of the hundreds of clubs at the org fair, my roommate and I stumbled upon this one.  I must say, we weren’t disappointed. 

Belly dancing? Sounds pretty random, right? Well, that may be, but it’s totally worth the time and money! Belly dancing at UW (BUW) was established in 2000 and has been going strong ever since.  They have a spring show every year to showcase what they have accomplished over the academic year. But don’t worry, there is no obligation to participate in the show if you don’t want to!

BUW offers two levels of difficulty: beginners and intermediate.  Since we didn’t have any experience in belly dancing, my roommate and I stuck to beginners. 

The beginners class is held on Tuesdays from 7-8pm, followed by the intermediate class from 8-9pm, both on the fourth floor of 333 East Campus Mall.  BUW only costs $20 a semester, and includes both weekly classes and monthly workshops.  Some professional studios charge $20 or more for a single lesson, so this is a bargain!

For the beginner’s class, there are several members from the upper level working with you so you have a more personal experience.  So far there has only been one class held, and we have gone over the basics of belly dance.  The environment is really welcoming; you don’t feel intimidated because pretty much everyone is new to BUW.  

If you are interested in joining an org totally different than any other, it isn’t too late! Just come to the student activity center-multipurpose room (with $20 for dues), on the fourth floor at 333 East Campus Mall any Tuesday at 7pm!

Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!! 
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!