david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Four Ways to Reuse a Halloween Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

4 Totally Legit Ways to Re-Use Your Halloween Costume

Costumes are the best part of any good Halloween weekend and more importantly, a great way to show off your new spray tan.  But, what’s a girl to do with a plastic-y nurse outfit the other 362 days of the year?  Here are some super helpful tips to get a full use out of your costumes this year.  #lifehack

Use It For Kindling!

So you did the whole candy skull costume and hand-made a sequenced top to go with your grade-A face makeup.  The thing is, you somehow managed to get makeup smeared all over it…and beer…plus some of that Jell-O shot is still caked on one of the flowers…  Not to mention the stains you don’t know the origin of.  So, what do you do with your once-beautiful handiwork?  Why, burn it of course!  Craft flowers make great kindling and you’ll never have to think about those nasty mystery stains again.  Just grab your beau and curl up around the warm fire, but try to avoid deep breaths; vomit doesn’t smell great burnt either.

Make It Décor!

You’re looking down at your $4 cat ears, the perfect accessory for a basic, classic costume.  They’re a bit crumpled from the night before, but they’re not just any cat ears.  These are the cat ears that “heard” Atmosphere’s amazing performance, the ears that accented your cute eyeliner whiskers so perfectly, you got up on stage.  These are the ears that ignited the witty conversation with the cute bouncer who let you in without even having an ID with you (hey, there’s no pockets in bodysuits). These ears may have even got you laid complete with breakfast in bed.  These cat ears were with you during a legendary night, so instead of saving them for next year, frame them and hang them in your living room.  It’ll be a great icebreaker for your next dinner party.

Donate It!

Paying homage to your favorite 90’s cartoon was totally awesome, but now you have no use for that felt dress, weird overalls or ill-fitting vest.  A simple, and karma-filled way to keep your closet free of these now useless clothes is easy!  Just hand it over to the weird homeless guys with the Chihuahua’s and drug rugs on State.  They’ll probably make a jacket for the dogs, and who doesn’t love animals in clothes?

Recycle It!

Somehow, you managed to not totally destroy your sweet Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle onesie while bouncing from bar to bar during Freakfest.  With a costume that legit, its time to just pack it up and save it for next year.  Unless, of course, you’re the type of person to wear a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle onesie to bed.  Then pajamas are definitely a good use, too. 

Olivia is a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison with big aspirations in PR and advertising. With a love for writing, beauty and confidence, she’s making it through college one step at a time.
Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com