This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

When being physically together is not exactly an option, feeling genuinely connected to those we love can seem challenging. But, it’s times like these when staying connected to our support systems and communities is most important! Whether it’s friends, family, coworkers, or classmates, being with others throughout our daily lives is a part of who we are. In times where our physical interactions are limited to our “quarantine buddies,” staying connected to friends and family is looking a whole lot different than we ever thought it would. So, if you’re feeling detached, disconnected or in need of a bit of love in this strange time, reach out to your loved ones and check out some of our favorite activities that are perfect for keeping in touch from far away!

Start a book club!

Get together with as many or as few friends as you like, and pick a book to read and talk about together! You’d be surprised at how connected you’ll feel when you know you’re reading the same words and experiencing the same faraway world as your best friend, no matter where they are. Plus, you can try to set up a regular time to call and talk about the book and bond over all that’s happened! Make sure to check out other great book recs if you’re not sure where to start: 3 Books To Read While Stuck At Home and 10 Reading Recs for Rainy Days!

Get baking

Baking might seem like one of those activities that requires being physically together to do together, but don’t rule it out when coming up with ways to stay connected to loved ones far away! Pick one of your favorite recipes and share it with someone you typically love to be in the kitchen with, and maybe coordinate a time to compare notes. Maybe even try Facetiming and enjoying a glass of wine while working through the recipe together in your separate kitchens!

Set up a virtual game night!

Though this might seem difficult to coordinate, with the right games you’d be surprised at how fun an evening over video chat can be. It’s true that late nights spent playing Clue with your roommates or battling in a Janga tournament with your family can never be completely replaced, but a game of Pictionary or Charades over video chat might just get you and your loved ones smiling and laughing amidst this craziness.

Write fun letters or paint postcards

There’s nothing like putting a letter in the mail for a friend and hearing their excitement and appreciation when they finally receive it. This fun activity leaves so much room for being creative, while thinking about the people you love each step of the way. Try decorating each card with the person you are writing the note for in mind and catering it to their interests or personality – you’ll truly feel connected to each one of your friends!

Do a drive or walk by!

Have friends or family that live closeby? Get out for some fresh air and walk by their house! Make sure to maintain that recommended 6 foot distance, and yell “hey” while sharing a big smile and wave.

So, if you’re feeling distant from your friends, family, and those who support you most, try out some of these activities to stay in touch in ways you never thought you could. It’s times like these that we need our friends the most! Make sure to check in on one another and keep connected with these suggestions!

Cate Wilkinson

Wisconsin '20

Cate graduated from UW - Madison in May 2020 with a degree in Microbiology with a certificate in French. She is very passionate about health, wellness, sustainability and communication about these topics!
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.