Five Things I am Leaving Behind in 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The New Year has finally come. The New Year always brings promises we attempt to keep: to be better, to try harder and to be happier. Yet throughout the years, I have realized that no matter how many promises I make nothing will change unless I leave behind certain habits or traits that bring me down. Therefore here are the five things that I am leaving behind in 2019:

Doubting myself

I am leaving behind doubting myself. In 2020 and beyond, I am determined to stick to my gut, to listen to my needs and have faith in the fact that I know what is best for me. If I don’t respect my decisions enough to listen to them, how do I ever expect others to listen to my needs and take them seriously.

Procrastination

I am leaving behind procrastination. Procrastination has always been an issue of mine, yet I have never attempted to get rid of it. But in this new year and decade, I will try to not procrastinate. I will get rid of my bad habit and try to apply myself to the best of my ability in getting my assignments done early and putting my all into them. 

Not doing what I want to do

I am leaving behind not doing what I want to do. I have learned that I am happiest when I do what I want. This new year I want to focus on choosing the options I want regardless if they aren’t cool, regardless if they aren’t the most popular choice and regardless if I have to do them alone. 

The belief that I’m not good enough

I am leaving behind the belief that I’m not good enough. This trait goes in hand with doubting myself, but I need to stop believing that I am not good enough. I need to start saying I am more than enough, and I deserve good things to come my way. 

Being afraid to be alone

Finally, I am leaving behind being afraid to be alone. I have always had a fear of being alone, that being alone was a negative thing or a bad trait. But I have learned throughout the years that being alone is important. We need to be comfortable being alone with ourselves to discover things. In the new year and the new decade, I will try to do more things with just myself, because I would like to get to know her. 

Whether you are picking up a new hobby, being a better version of yourself or just vowing to be happier in the new year/decade, just focus on yourself and know that there is no right way to do anything – we are all out here figuring everything out step by step. You will figure it all out! Happy New Year/Decade, make the best out of it!

Sofia Drotts

Wisconsin '22

My name is Sofia Drotts, I am a freshman at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I intend to major in Psychology with a concentration in criminal justice. I speak Spanish and I am from the city of Chicago. My interests include photography, writing, reading and listening to music.
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.