Five Things To Do in New York This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Excited to get out of Madison for the summer? I know I am! Don’t get me wrong, I love Madison, but how many times can a girl shop at the same three stores and eat at the same five restaurants before it gets old? If you’re looking to travel to a city with endless opportunities to explore this summer, New York is the place to go. With an infinite amount of things to do and see in New York, you could spend three weeks in Manhattan and not even see a quarter of the best attractions. So here is a quick guide to New York – five things to do in the city this summer, from your very own New Yorker.

1. Forever 21 in Time Square

While you’re in New York City this summer, make sure to stop by the Forever21 in Time Square. Not only is Time Square the iconic image of NYC, the gigantic Forever21 is a sight in itself. Located in the heart of Time Square on Broadway between West 45th and 46th streets, this store tops even the most imaginative fashionista’s expectations. Forever21 Time Square is the biggest of the chain on the east coast, and is open until 2 a.m. every singleday! Make sure you clear your day for this shopping experience, and don’t forget to stock up on protein bars. We all get a little angry when we’re hungry and can’t find the mate to the amazing pair of shoes we just discovered!

2. NYC Restaurant Week 2011

If you’re still alive after visiting Forever21 Time Square, you’ll need to refuel. Every winter and summer New York City hosts Restaurant Week. This is the perfect opportunity to try out some of the city’s best dining selections without paying the NYC socialite price, as restaurants all over the city feature special price fixed menus. This will be NYC Restaurant Week’s twentieth year and it is sure to satisfy even the pickiest eaters. NYC’s Restaurant Week will be July 11to 24, check out http://www.nycgo.com/restaurantweek for more information!

3. Harry Potter Exhibit at Discovery Time Square

For those of you who were devastated when you didn’t receive a letter from Hogwarts after your eleventh birthday, this exhibit is for you! From April 1 to Sept. 5, Discovery Time Square will have over 200 props and costumes from all eight Harry Potter movies on display. The best part is that these items will be on display in their natural setting, as the exhibit rooms have been transformed into various locations on the Hogwarts grounds, including the Gryffindor common room, the Great Hall and Hagrid’s Hut. Discovery Time Square is located at on West 44th Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue. Don’t forget your wands!

4. RENT

You can’t visit New York without seeing a Broadway show, and luckily, one of Broadway’s best musicals will be returning to the stage this summer. RENT will be reopening on July 14 and should not be missed! If you have seen the movie, go see the show. If you have already seen the show, GO SEE IT AGAIN. After the opening number, your heart will be racing as you continue on an emotional roller coaster through a year in the life of eight friends. 

5. The Statue of Liberty

Whether you are visiting New York from halfway across the country, or from the suburbs just a short train ride away, you can’t miss the woman who has become a symbol of the American dream: Lady Liberty. There is nothing I love more then flying into LaGuardia Airport and being greeted by the lights of the Statue of Liberty. Luckily, the crown is now open to the public again, so put on your sneakers and get ready to ascend the steps of one of New York’s biggest attractions!

Sources: