This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Friends, can you believe Friends is leaving Netflix at the end of this year!? I know, I am just as sad as you. Or, maybe you’re over it and you don’t care about Friends anymore. That’s fine, that’s fine, but if you too are in denial and going through the stages of grief over losing our dear friends, fear not! I have hope for you and a way to ease the pain. Read on as we process through the five stages of grief and relive some of the greatest Friends moments together.  

Denial

It’s a normal day, everything is great and then BAM! You get the news. You remember your best friends are moving to HBO Max in a little over a month. But you are strong and you brush this news off; you’re in denial. You’re like Chandler; uninterested, couldn’t care less. It’s just a dumb show you tell yourself, it’s doesn’t really matter. Netflix could buy it for another year… right?

Anger

Reality has set in. The news is true and there’s no turning back. You realize you will have to buy another streaming subscription to watch Friends. When will the madness end? How many subscriptions do you already have? You scream, you shout, you spew cuss words at a child, oh wait no, sorry that’s just Phoebe. You fall asleep mouthing “I hate you” to Netflix à la young Brad Pitt’s character talking to Rachel.

Bargaining

You start to panic. What can an everyday college gal do to save one of Netflix’s highest streaming shows? Should you tweet at Netflix in protest? You think about bargaining, pleading, anything to switch this tragedy with something else. What can you give up that will save your favorite Friends- Hulu? Disney+? Spotify Premium?

Depression

You are more than sad. Not angry, just disappointed. Losing this show is truly like losing a best friend. It’s more than a show; it’s a source of happiness and now it’s gone. There is nothing you can do (except buy a subscription to HBO Max in Spring 2020). You try talking with your friends about losing Friends, but it is just too painful. You’ll never find love again. Friends was all you had. Nothing will ever be the same.

Acceptance

You’re fine, you’ll survive. You are accepting that Friends will leave Netflix and you won’t be able to relive all your favorite memories at the touch of a button. You’re a grown woman, this is real life and you can handle it. You remember how brave poor Rachel was running out on her wedding and finding a new life, job and friends in New York City. You take comfort in her story and push through.

Well, that’s it! The five stages of grief as told through Friends memes. I hope reliving these great Friends memories helped you process this difficult transition. I know what you’re thinking though, could this article be any more sarcastic? In all seriousness, you can catch your favorite New York City gang on the new service from HBO, HBO Max, in the spring of 2020. Even though they are leaving Netflix Chandler, Monica, Phoebe, Ross, Joey and Rachel will live on in our hearts and memories forever.  

Katherine is a senior studying Communication Arts and Journalism.
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.