jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Five Spoken Words for when you need a Pick-Me-Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Spoken word poems have been gaining popularity on the internet for their abilities to capture emotions that are usually hard to describe as well as captivate audiences with song-like rhythms. You can find a spoken word that talks about nearly any topic, in part due to the individuality of the artists that perform them. Shaped by their unique struggles and mantras, people can use these poems as an outlet and send a message.

Here are the ones to listen to when you need to be reminded just how special you are:

1. Lily Myers – Shrinking Women

This poem encapsulates the history of women in society in terms of seeking smaller body types, staying silent in conversation and so on. To hear a young woman standing up against the social norms by using her voice and educating the uninformed on the inequality present in our world is refreshing – and a must listen.

2. Katie Makkai – Pretty

This poem focuses on the unrealistic beauty standards that women have been exposed to ever since we were just little girls. It shares the reality that we will never actually meet those standards without losing ourselves and sadly reminds that so many girls experience insecurity due to falling short of unattainable perfection. Katie encourages women of this day in age to look deeper than just the surface to find true joy and beauty.

3. Sarah Kay – The Type

This poem dives into relationships and the turmoil they can sometimes bring to women. Rather than wondering if we are enough for a guy or the kind of woman a guy could love, Sarah offers the alternative of remembering we are whole without a man and that we don’t need anyone else to affirm our worth. We should be looking for someone to compliment us — not define us.

4. Ashlee Haze – For Colored Girls

This poem packs a powerful punch as it talks about the importance of role models in young girls’ lives. Role models give us something to aspire to and can teach us how to find our voices. Ashlee recognizes the reality that the number of role models young black girls have to look up to is lacking and calls for a change in that status quo.

5. Desiree Dallagiacomo – Thighs

This poem hits deep as it addresses body insecurity and women being defined by their bodies. Desiree turns the negative thoughts women can experience when looking in the mirror to positive thoughts, ones of a body they should be proud of. We should be unapologetic of who we are and force society to define us by other means, instead of attacking us for appearance.

These women are talented artists. These spoken word poems are powerful. Although they each focus on different topics, they can all hit home for what it really means to be a woman: a free spirit, a confident warrior and a fearless conqueror. We can do anything ladies, and the only thing standing in our way is us.

Aubrynn is a small town Wisconsin girl with big city dreams. She is currently a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison pursuing a career in the sports broadcasting industry. Some of her favorite things include smelling flowers, laughing with her friends, and the color pink. She hopes to inspire people to believe in themselves and to treat everyone they meet with kindness. You can keep up with everything happening in the life of Aubrynn on Twitter (@AubrynnVV) and Instagram (@brynnvv).
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!