burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Fall Style Staples Perfect for Back to School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Looking to strut into the new school year in style? Look no further! We’ve got the best fall style staples that are perfect for back to school – the most basic yet adorable pieces that are sure to sharpen & freshen your wardrobe for fall with a little back to school flare. Check out some of HC Wisconsin’s favorite fall staples below!

Sneakers

Walking around campus to get to class shouldn’t have to be a chore, which is why it’s always a great idea to have cute, comfy sneaks that will add to your outfit and are sure to give you a little spring in your step for the first few weeks of school. Check out some of our favorites below:

• ASOS: Superga Cotu Classic 2750 gray canvas sneakers $65
  • H&M: Sneakers $17.99 (pictured above!)
  • Nordstrom Rack: Adidas Cloud Form Pure Sneaker $70 $54.97

High Waisted Pants

The perfect pair of high waisted jeans or pants will go with almost anything and are perfect to throw on in the morning when you don’t know what to wear. We’ve listed some of the cutest ones we love here:

• H&M: Paper Bag Pants $29.99
  • Urban Outfitters: BDG Girlfriend High-Rise Jean – Washed Black Denim $69
  • Abercrombie: Curve Love High Rise Ankle Flare Jeans $78 (pictured above!)

Flowy Blouses

Looking to get a little dressed up? Make sure to have a couple of fun, flowy blouses in your wardrobe just in case you’re feeling a little fancy in the morning! Check out some of our favorites below:

• Forever 21: Dash Striped Self Tie Top $19.99
  • AE: Oversized Striped Button Up Shirt $44.95
  • Free People: A True Beauty Shirt $58

Light Weight Jackets & Sweaters

Though we’re all yearning for thick sweater weather by the time school rolls around, the temperature doesn’t always cooperate. On those rare 80-degree days in September and October, you’ll thank yourself for having either a lightweight jacket or sweater that will give you the look you want, while keeping you cool throughout the day.

• Aerie: Chenille Belted Cardigan $59.95 $35.97 (pictured above!)
  • H&M: Fine-knit Sweater $12.99
  • Forever 21: Drawstring Hooded Jacket $28

Hair Accessories

Let’s face it, not everyday is a good hair day. But there are a couple of quick fix hair accessories that can help when you wake up too late to take a shower, or just don’t feel like it! Our go-to’s are listed below:

• Free People: Perfect Day Soft Headband $20 (pictured above!)
  • Urban Outfitters: Nike H86 Futura Classic Baseball Hat $18
  • H&M: Hairband with Knot Detail $9.99

Backpack

As a college student, your backpack kind of becomes your home away from home. So, if you haven’t found that special one just yet, or yours needs a little updating, we’ve got some great ideas listed below that are both cute and functional.

• ASOS: Superdry Elsworth Backpack $59
  • Nordstrom Rack: Herschel Supply Co. Heritage Backpack $69.99 $44.97
  • Abercrombie & Fitch: Canvas Backpack $54 (pictured above!)  

So, if you just aren’t sure what to get when shopping for back to school clothes and accessories, check out some of these cute & classic pieces to update your wardrobe for the new season!

Cate Wilkinson

Wisconsin '20

Cate graduated from UW - Madison in May 2020 with a degree in Microbiology with a certificate in French. She is very passionate about health, wellness, sustainability and communication about these topics!
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.