Fall Recipes with Leftover Halloween Candy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Now that Halloween’s over, you probably have enough candy to make piles and jump into it like the Autumn leaves. You’re most likely too old for Trick-or-Treating, but somehow you’ve managed to reel in the sweets.  Your parents still send you loads of candy, every single one of your classes gave you treats (that most likely was a way for your teachers to distract you from the fact that they scheduled midterms among the Halloween festivities- well played) and you and your friends wanted a scary movie night that didn’t seem complete without a proper sugar fix. Now how do you put all this candy to use without putting yourself into a food coma? Make delicious desserts to share with just about everyone, of course! Then, Instagram it #foodporn

White Chocolate & Candy Bark

Ingredients:

– 2 cups white chocolate chips

– peanuts

– candy corn

– Reese’s Pieces

Instructions:

1. Place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir. Continue to microwave in 30-second intervals until completely melted. If needed, add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to the chocolate chips to make the mixture smoother.
  2. Pour melted chocolate onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Spread to an even thickness.
  3. Sprinkle peanuts, candy corn, and Reese’s Pieces onto the chocolate. Set the bark aside to firm at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
  4. Once the bark is completely set, break into chunks. Enjoy!

Pumpkin Spice Kiss Cookies

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 36 pumpkin spice or chocolate Hershey’s Kisses, unwrapped
  • Sprinkles (optional)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Have two mini muffin pans ready.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar until creamy and smooth. Add the egg and vanilla then beat until smooth. Gradually add in the flour mixture then add the chocolate chips just until mixed in (don’t overbeat).
  4. Divide the dough into roughly 1-inch 36 dough balls and place into the muffin pans. Bake 10 minutes or until cookies fill the cup, done in the middle, and golden brown. Immediately press a kiss into the top of each cookie, pressing down slightly. If you invert the kisses into the dough, add sprinkles on top. Cool completely before removing from the pan.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Puppy Chow

Ingredients:

• 10 cups rice cereal squares (such as Chex)
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • ½ cup milk chocolate chips
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 cup chocolate cake mix
  • 2 cups Reese’s Pieces
  • 1-8 ounce bag Reese’s mini peanut butter cups
  • 1 cup candy corn

Instructions

1. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Place 10 cups of rice cereal into a large bowl.
  3. Grab two 1-gallon freezer or storage bags. Place the powdered sugar in one bag and the chocolate cake mix in the other bag. Set aside.
  4. Add peanut butter, chocolate chips, and butter to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat the mixture in 30-second increments, stirring in-between, until the mixture is smooth.
  5. Pour the creamy peanut butter mixture over the rice cereal squares. Fold the mixture into the squares until evenly coated.
  6. Divide the mixture in half, placing one half in the bag with the powdered sugar and the other half in the bag with the chocolate cake mix. Shake the bags vigorously until the squares are evenly dusted.
  7. Pour the coated rice squares onto the prepared baking sheets, spreading them out into an even layer. Allow the squares to dry for 30 minutes.
  8. Combine the coated rice squares and candy in a large bowl and mix to combine. Serve party style or divide the mixture into individual servings for delicious gifts.

Sweet Tarts Milshake

Ingredients:

16 Sweet Tarts candies (about 2 tablespoons)

1 pint softened strawberry ice cream

¾ cup milk

Instructions:

In a blender, blend SweeTarts candies with softened strawberry ice cream and milk until smooth. Serve in glasses and top with additional SweeTarts, if desired.

Kit Kat S’mores Bars

Ingredients:

• 1 stick unsalted butter

• 1/2 cup granulated sugar

• 1 large egg

• 1 teaspoon vanilla

• 5 full sheets graham crackers, crushed

• 3/4 cup all purpose flour

• 1/4 teaspoon salt

• 1 teaspoon baking powder

• 16 miniature Kit-Kat bars, crushed

• 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously coat an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the sugar and butter together until smooth and creamy. Add in the egg and vanilla until incorporated. Add in the graham crackers, flour, salt, and baking powered until combined. (Dough will be sticky.)
  3. Coat the back of a spatula with nonstick spray; spread half of the dough into the pan evenly. Sprinkle the Kit-Kat pieces over the dough, followed by the marshmallows. Flatten pieces of the remaining dough and place them on top of the marshmallows.
  4. Baked for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let bars cool slightly before cutting and enjoy!
Tricia Fishbune is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She plans on majoring in Communication Arts, and eventually wants to work in the entertainment industry in either journalism or public relations. Aside from writing, she loves to hang out with friends, meet new people, travel, exercise, and try new things. 
Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com