Excuses to Get Out of Doing Something

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Everyone has been there. You are asked to do something (e.g. a dinner, study session, night on the town), and you just do not have the heart to tell them that you are not feeling it tonight. When saying that you just want to stay in and wear sweatpants is not an acceptable excuse, you always have the following to fall back on.

“I have something important to do.”
One of the easiest and vaguest fallbacks when you are too lazy to come up with a decent excuse. We are in college — there is always something important to do.

“I have to get up early tomorrow.”
People have to understand, as college students, we do not get enough sleep as it is. By saying you have to be up early, you will definitely be let off the hook and gain a little sympathy too.

“I’m sick.”
No one wants to be sick, thus people avoid sick individuals like the plague.

“I totally forgot, I have an essay due in three hours!”
This (fake) paper is worth thirty percent of your grade! You have to stay in and finish it!

“I have (insert workout or yoga class) tonight.”
Nobody is going to stop you if you’re trying to be a healthier person.

“I injured my (insert any part of body).”
It’s not your fault you are such a klutz. Oh well, looks like you’ll have to stay in tonight.

“I don’t really have a lot of extra cash.”
Going out costs money, and that is something you do not have right now.

“I totally spaced, but I have an appointment.”
Doctor, dentist, it does not matter. Appointments are difficult to come by, and it is too late to cancel.

“I’m out of town.”
You can’t really hang out with someone if you are not in the same town.

Excuses can be difficult to come up with. May these excuses be your saving grace when you do not want to do anything. Best of luck!

I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!