neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Don’t Let Stress Get the Best of You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

As classes start up again, so does the workload. With having to balance studying, student orgs, and a social life, there is no time to breathe – it’s stressful! But there are definitely some healthy ways to cope with the stress that comes along with the school year. Here are a few ideas to deal with the stressful semester:

1. Call your best friend

As your best friend, they have an unspoken obligation to listen to all of your problems, so give them a call. After a fifteen minute vent sesh about how much you have to do and how much you hate your chem lab, you’ll for sure feel better.

1. Sweat it out

When in doubt, sweat it out. I know that it’s hard to take a break when you have a long list of things to do, but a good cardio workout can be the answer to all of your problems. Grab a friend and hit the SERF, or go for a run along the Lakeshore path.

1. Take a nap

Sometimes we get so caught up in everything that we have to do that we end up just sitting there and doing none of it. We’ve all been there. If you get to that point, set your notebook aside and take a power nap. You’ll be more awake and more productive, which will kick your stress to the curb.

1. Study groups

We all want social lives, but we tend to feel guilty when we avoid our homework by hanging out with our friends. Study groups are the perfect solution. This way you get to catch up on your studying and be with your friends at the same time.  

1. Do Yoga

You don’t have to go to a fancy yoga studio and turn zen, but some deep breathing and simple stretches can relieve a lot of stress. Check out Pinterest for some awesome yoga vinyasas to help you relax.

1. Indulge in a guilty pleasure

Whether it’s binge watching Netflix while eating a whole pint of Ben and Jerry’s or jamming to the summer hits of the 2000s, doing something that you enjoy is a great stress reliever. Take some time for yourself, and your stress level is bound to go down.  

As stressful as the school year can be, there are plenty of things you can do to help you manage it. Remember to take time for yourself and have fun. These are the best four years of your life after all!

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!