This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

How one “Woman” helped start a movement of growth in female self worth

Throughout history, women have always been told they’re either too much or not enough. If you like makeup and shopping, you’re too materialistic and only do these things to attract men. If you play sports and wear sneakers, you’re too masculine and are told you’ll never get a boyfriend. Women are constantly held to a double standard by society, leaving us feeling trapped and unable to be truly confident in who we are and what we can do. However, numerous women are breaking barriers and inspiring others across the globe to do something many consider a ghastly trait for women to possess: selfishness. 

In the political world, it started with the election of a record number of female representatives to the House in 2020, showing that women have voices that deserve to be heard. In 2021, Doja Cat released “Planet Her”. This album reminds women of the immense power we hold and how we deserve to stick up for ourselves, particularly when it comes to men. Even if it wasn’t her intention, Doja announced to the world that women have the right to be selfish and choose to put themselves first without that making them lesser, just as men have done for years. 

If you haven’t listened to Doja Cat, I highly recommend you incorporate her music into your most recent Spotify playlist. The majority of her music is about being proud of your womanhood, however you define it. Some songs explore reclaiming your sexuality and normalize advocating for your physical needs in a relationship. Others dive into achieving your career oriented goals. Long story short, no matter what you’re going through, there’s sure to be a Doja Cat song that makes you feel seen and validated.

Jillian Esch

Wisconsin '24

Jillian is a junior at the University of Wisconsin studying International Studies and Political Science. She loves to write about current human rights issues, but also about less serious topics such as reality TV and current trends.